Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VermontSC
Frequent Visitor

AD authenticaion on local Power BI server (with SQL 2017)

Hi,

I'm trying to find how to set up authentication to a local PowerBI report server (allow those in an AD group).  It seems all the documentation is focussed on running via Azure and doesn't translate.  Because of the type of data we have, we're actually legally obliged to NOT use cloud services, and even if we weren't, I'd want to avoid it.

I would also like the authentication to be just to the server - and once you're in, authentication to the individual databases and datasets is 'hard coded' within the reports (ie. not having to create 150+ SQL accounts for each user).  I've seen posts of people complaining about having a login, but again, these are all Azure-based, and don't seem to be relevant to a local BI report server.

Thanks in advance for any advice/directions.

6 REPLIES 6
mattharling
Frequent Visitor

We are having a similar type issue - Power BI Report Server (March 2018) sat on SQL Server 2017 Enterprise. 

We have a series of domain AD groups through which we want to manage access to the report server - it seems through pretty extensive testing that the only groups that we are able to use are the BULTIN groups. Is there something that we're missing to enable us to use our AD groups to contol access?

We have followed to the letter the online guides from microsoft and a number of posts from this forum, including the old turn it off and on trick.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @VermontSC,

I'm trying to find how to set up authentication to a local PowerBI report server (allow those in an AD group).  It seems all the documentation is focussed on running via Azure and doesn't translate.  Because of the type of data we have, we're actually legally obliged to NOT use cloud services, and even if we weren't, I'd want to avoid it.

Based on my research, Power BI report server is a on-premise solution. Except the publisher requires Power BI pro license, other users consume the report doesn't require this. Each user access to report server will be authenticated by Integrated Windows Authentication. You can see Riccardo Muti's comments here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/19953286-embed-power-bi-report-se...

I would also like the authentication to be just to the server - and once you're in, authentication to the individual databases and datasets is 'hard coded' within the reports (ie. not having to create 150+ SQL accounts for each user).  I've seen posts of people complaining about having a login, but again, these are all Azure-based, and don't seem to be relevant to a local BI report server.

Once the report published to report server, we can store credential for data source so end user doesn't need to enter credential again to access data source. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/report-data/specify-credential-and-connectio...

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

You post tells me it *can* be done, but not *how*.  Note that it's not just allowing access, it's also blocking access for those who should not have access... as stated in my original post, only memebers of a certain AD group can do so.

I am already running a local BI server (as part of SQL Enterprise), and I can configure access to the reports as mentioned in your like, but I cannot find out how to force authentication to the BI server, and therefore allow and block groups of users (or 'public') from the server itself.

Ideally, I'd be able to have different groups access different PBIX, but I'll take yes/no access to the BI server.

Regards,

Hi @VermontSC, I have the same scenario here...Did you solve it?

Hi,

I've actually been tied up with other projects. I haven't tried the security info in the post above, so that may work. From memory, it's a "handball to your DBA" type solution (though I'm also my DBA).

Hi @VermontSC,

The Power BI Report server is a 'superset' of the well known SQL Server Reporting Services. (in a nutshell, it is a SQL Server Reporting Services that also renders Power BI Reports)

All the security documentation can be found under SQL Server Reporting Services at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/security/granting-permissions-on-a-native-mo...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.