Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Dycacian

401.2 Access denied when testing the ReportServer URL as a regular windows user

Hello,

We are having an issue where we cannot access the ReportServer URL from any client unless the user is in the Computername\Administrators group on the report server itself.  Could this have something to do with a User Rights assignment or possibly the URL Reservertaion and the user attached to it?  The problem is that this means none of our regular users can run a paginated report.

Thanks,

Dy

12 REPLIES 12
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Dycacian 

Yes, It does need to assign permissions to view the report directly through the url. You can create or modify a system role definition in the security of the site settings. You can also assign role-based security in the security of home page management.

4.png

Reference:Grant user access to a report server - SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) | Microsoft Docs

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-janeyg-msft, thank you for the response!

The user in question has every possible permission I could give within the Report Server Portal.  So they do have access to everything they need.  But they still can't run a paginated report or access the HTTP://hostname/ReportServer URL without <Builtin> Administrator group access on the server hosting the PowerBI Report Server service.

Thanks,

Dy

Hi, @Dycacian 

'But they still can't run a paginated report or access the HTTP://hostname/ReportServer URL without <Builtin> Administrator group access on the server hosting the PowerBI Report Server service. '

Since I don't have premium capacity and cannot use pagination reports, it is difficult to reproduce your problem.

Are you talking about web portal url? Do you mean that users can view reports but can't view paginated reports after setting permissions for users? Is the data source connection of the pagination report normal?

Best Regards

Janey Guo

@v-janeyg-msft ,

The issue is specifically related to the ReportServer webservice service.  The portal access is fine.  I don't think it is the data source because I am getting an access denied error from the internal Webserver within Power BI Server.  

Thanks,

Dy

Hi, @Dycacian 

Can you share the screenshot of the error?

Here is a case abouting using web service: It said that the webservice needs to be running to run the portal engine so to speak however you should never need to access it it directly, all your reports get accessed via the webportal.

Regarding issue The operation you are attempting o... - Microsoft Power BI Community Hope it helps.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-janeyg-msft ,

That is true.  But when I run a paginated report, I get the exact same error.  If the user is part of the computer administrators group, paginated reports work, and if they are not part of the group, they don't.  

I was using the direct link to the web service as a way to explain that it is an issue with permissions on the web service.  I just can't figure out which permissions to change so users don't have to be part of the local Administrators group to run reports.

Thanks,

Dy

Hi, @Dycacian 

I mean, you can only access through the url that opens the web portal instead of the web service.

After my test, even if the user is given the lowest authority, he can open the paginated report, but if I delete the permission for a certain user under the management permission of a single paginated report, it cannot be opened.

Like this:

3.png

I don't know what your error message is, can you share it?

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-janeyg-msft ,

Hopefully, this time the image will upload.  Below is what it looks like when we try to load a report when a user is not an administrator of the local server.

2021-03-10_18-04-19.png

I know this is an old issue at this point, but I found a solution for this symptom -- it turns out there is a 'web.config' file in the ...ReportServer directory. This file has an 'httpModules' section that has a line with '<add name="UrlAuthorization"...' in it. I removed that line, saved the web.config, and restarted the SSRS service. This caused the symptom to disappear. I believe we had IIS installed on this server at one point in time, and somehow the server default URL Authorization rule prohibiting all but 'Administrators' must have been getting interpreted by SSRS... (We have another server where this line in the 'web.config' does not cause the described problem symptom.)

Hi, @Dycacian 

What's your data source? It doesn't seem to be a report server permission issue. Have you tried to distribute other paginated reports? Try to check whether the paginated report of common data source can be viewed normally.

I search this: Troubleshooting: Server Error in '-' Application. Access Denied - Dynamics NAV | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

Janey Guo

@v-janeyg-msft ,

Our data source is an Analysis server.  I will check this out, but it doesn't account for the fact that everything works great if the user is a local administrator of the server.  I would think that if it was an authentication setting that it would affect both Admins and users.  

It might be a few days, as I don't have access to the server at this time.  

Thanks,

Peter

Hi, @Dycacian 

In the powerbi service, the data source of AS must map user name to let users see the content, so in the same way, in the report server, it also needs to be configured.

You can install Power BI Report Server, SQL Server and Analysis Services on a single machine and everything should work without additional configuration. This is great for a test environment. You may hit errors if you have these services installed on separate machines which is called a distributed environment. In this environment, you are required to use Kerberos authentication. There is configuration required to implement this.

In addition to the attempt to troubleshoot the problem I mentioned in the last reply, you can also check this:Configure Kerberos to use Power BI reports - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hope to get feedback on the progress of your problem.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.