cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ultrashock Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

180 days evaluation copy has expired - help with licensing PowerBI Report Server

Till today we used PowerBI Report Server evaluation version for 180 days.

Suddenly it stops working, without any errors, but when I checked the .log files I realized that the license had expired.

Now we have 2 options:

1. To use PowerBI Desktop version for the reports;
  2. To buy e license key.

Question 1: In our company only few people use PowerBI - 2-3 viewers and only me - creator and manager of the reports. Can you advise me what to do with the licensing, how does it cost for our situation and what are the steps?

Question 2: Is it possible to restore the .pbix files (reports) from the server, are they located somewhere and how to restore it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Regular Visitor

Re: 180 days evaluation copy has expired - help with licensing PowerBI Report Server

Just run the installation of the PowerBI Server again, I think repair in Add or Remove Programs works too, than choose Developer mode and it works again. Than you can export your .pbix files.

This is working solution, because I couldn’t find any other way to recover the report files.

4 REPLIES 4
BrookBracewell Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: 180 days evaluation copy has expired - help with licensing PowerBI Report Server

I appear to be in the same boat. I wil be moving to the Power BI product as it is more cost effective. but I need to retreive my .pbix files

Regular Visitor

Just run the installation of the PowerBI Server again, I think repair in Add or Remove Programs works too, than choose Developer mode and it works again. Than you can export your .pbix files.

This is working solution, because I couldn’t find any other way to recover the report files.

BrookBracewell Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the advise, it would definitly have some legs, if there was not errors in the repair process- it does not seem happy with the .exe file and is failing to load up.  

I will have to get back to the drawing board and work out the problem there.

Highlighted
stpnet Established Member
Established Member

it is possible to extract the PBIX files directly fomr the backend DB if you need to

See this

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Access-report-files-after-evaluation-period-expired/m...