Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

180 days evaluation copy has expired - help with licensing PowerBI Report Server

Till today we used PowerBI Report Server evaluation version for 180 days.

Suddenly it stops working, without any errors, but when I checked the .log files I realized that the license had expired.

Now we have 2 options:

1. To use PowerBI Desktop version for the reports;
  2. To buy e license key.

Question 1: In our company only few people use PowerBI - 2-3 viewers and only me - creator and manager of the reports. Can you advise me what to do with the licensing, how does it cost for our situation and what are the steps?

Question 2: Is it possible to restore the .pbix files (reports) from the server, are they located somewhere and how to restore it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just run the installation of the PowerBI Server again, I think repair in Add or Remove Programs works too, than choose Developer mode and it works again. Than you can export your .pbix files.

This is working solution, because I couldn’t find any other way to recover the report files.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I appear to be in the same boat. I wil be moving to the Power BI product as it is more cost effective. but I need to retreive my .pbix files

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just run the installation of the PowerBI Server again, I think repair in Add or Remove Programs works too, than choose Developer mode and it works again. Than you can export your .pbix files.

This is working solution, because I couldn’t find any other way to recover the report files.

Thanks for the advise, it would definitly have some legs, if there was not errors in the repair process- it does not seem happy with the .exe file and is failing to load up.  

I will have to get back to the drawing board and work out the problem there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

it is possible to extract the PBIX files directly fomr the backend DB if you need to

See this

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Access-report-files-after-evaluation-period-expired/m...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.