Simple Aggregation Quick Measures

5280 Views
Highlighted
Super User

Simple Aggregation Quick Measures

[ Edited ]

The Quick Measures feature is a great tool to create more complex DAX.  But I see this feature as a tool to help brand new users get started with DAX too.  I train Excel users on how to write DAX, and it is not intuitive to most of them how to write simple measures.  If you included some "Basic Aggregations" as a group in Quick Measures, this would significantly help new users get started on the DAX journey.  I would like to see the following basic aggregations added to a new group in quick measures.

=SUM(<selected column>)

=AVERAGE(<selected column>)

=COUNT(<selected column>)

=DISTINCTCOUNT(<selected column>)

=MAX(<selected column>)

=MIN(<selected column>)

Yes I know all of these things can be created as implicit measures, but as you know implicit measures lack reuse, formatting and naming flexibilty vs a true measure.  

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Super User

Re: Simple Aggregation Quick Measures

I find the lack of formatting the most frustation part of implicit measures.  Nice idea Matt!

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Frequent Visitor

As a user, this is an obvious win. 

If the implicit measure UI created an explicit measure or was another door into the UI for quick measures, so that implicit measures went away it would simplify and focus the development experience.

Implicit measures were Quick Measures v0.9.

Time to kill off that the early draft now. 

Established Member

[ Edited ]

Hi @MattAllington

Post this as an idea and we will go vote.

N-

image.png

Super User

There are 2 ways you can submit and idea.  Here, and also in the ideas link. Both are monitored by MS.

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.