Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kintera
Helper I
Helper I

what's the difference... column in query editor vs Data vs Report

I don't understand what the difference between columns created in these 3 places.  thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @kintera ,

Calculated columns are used when you want to use a calculation in another calculation or in any other visulaization(s). In other words, that costs more memory than custom column.  You can refer to this blog.

https://www.fourmoo.com/2017/02/07/power-bi-why-creating-columns-in-the-query-editor-is-better-quick...

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kintera ,

In Data, we can create calculated columns based on DAX. However, we cannot see these columns in Power query.
In Power query. Any custom columns that we create are based on M code. You can check the M code in Advanced editor. And you can use and see all of these custom columns in data view / report.

Please refer to this article to understand how Power Query(Query Editor) and Power Pivot(Data View) work together.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Thanks for taking the time, Frank.

So, if I didn't want to use M code (or the wysiwyg Conditional, Column_From_Examples, etc) and was familiar with DAX, I would use the Data side. But are there any other considerations? Performance being one of them? The reference you provided was Excel-based, and didn't have much PowerBI specifics.

Again, thank you

Hi @kintera ,

Calculated columns are used when you want to use a calculation in another calculation or in any other visulaization(s). In other words, that costs more memory than custom column.  You can refer to this blog.

https://www.fourmoo.com/2017/02/07/power-bi-why-creating-columns-in-the-query-editor-is-better-quick...

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors