Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

prokurors
Advocate III
Advocate III

what on-premise data sources are supported?

I would like to use Power BI as a frontend for BI of my application.

My current customers are some individuals from a big corporations and they have very strict rules about data security - so all data has to be on premise and should not be stored anywere outside the company.

1) Can Power BI be used just as an interface (that it queries on-premise data and displays them in the defined reports) so that it does not store anything on a cloud side?

2) What is needed for Power BI retrieve data from local intranet files? Is it enough that the current user, that queries data from Power BI has access to those files? Or is there some configuration involved to grant Power BI access to those files?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could use the PBIX file generated by Desktop as the "interface". You could also use Excel with the Power plug-ins and put that in a SharePoint site and use Office web apps or Excel web services to display it. You could also use Pyramid Analytics server to "publish" Power BI Desktop files and in SQL Server 2016 publish those files to SSRS.

Probably depends on the intranet and what authentication it supports, OAuth, Windows, Anonymous, etc. Should not be any configuration since you are not publishing to the Service, the gateway wouldn't really enter into the picture.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@prokurors Find the answers to your question below:

1. As long as you are developing your reports in Power BI Desktop Tool / Excel, nothing is going to cloud as everything is local. You can share this pbix files in which you have created report across users but they need to install Dekstop Tool to view the same.

2. To retrieve data, firstly Power BI Desktop tool sould support that particular data source and user should have access to the source. No other configuration is required.

Hope this helps!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could use the PBIX file generated by Desktop as the "interface". You could also use Excel with the Power plug-ins and put that in a SharePoint site and use Office web apps or Excel web services to display it. You could also use Pyramid Analytics server to "publish" Power BI Desktop files and in SQL Server 2016 publish those files to SSRS.

Probably depends on the intranet and what authentication it supports, OAuth, Windows, Anonymous, etc. Should not be any configuration since you are not publishing to the Service, the gateway wouldn't really enter into the picture.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors