Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

edumach
Helper I
Helper I

undefined

i need to create a column that filters only the records that are in the passport column, they have a certain pattern, they have 2 letters at the beginning and a sequence of 6 numbers

the information I'm looking for has this format "FR575912"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@edumach 

let
regex=let   fx=(input)=>
Web.Page(
"<script>
var x='"&input&"'; // this is the input string for regex
var b=x.match(/[a-zA-Z]{2}\d{6}/gm); // specify the desired regular expression inside string.match()
                                    //https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/String/match 
document.write(b);
</script>"){0}[Data]{0}[Children]{1}[Children]{0}[Text]

in
fx,
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcgsyNTe1NDRSitWJVjK2MDKwtDA0NADzLMCkIQyAeSbmxkAFFsYRYJ6ziXO4gXOAexREt4meoYGxnqWRua4pWCAi0tLC3MQUaE4sAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Data = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each let x = regex([Data]) in 
if x="null" then "not passport" else x)
in
    #"Added Custom"

smpa01_0-1637763113638.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @edumach ,

As @KNP suggested, please try the following formula to add a custom column:

=if Text.Length([Value])=8 and
Text.Start([Value],2)=Text.Select([Value],{"A".."Z"}) and
Text.Range([Value],2)=Text.Select([Value],{"0".."9"})
then "Yes" else "not passport"

Eyelyn9_1-1637721310758.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

smpa01
Super User
Super User

@edumach  you can use regex for pattern match

let
regex=let   fx=(input)=>
Web.Page(
"<script>
var b=x.match(/[a-zA-Z]{2}\d{6}/gm); // specify the desired regular expression inside string.match()
                                    //https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/String/match 
document.write(b);

in
fx,
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcgsyNTe1NDRSitWJVjK2MDKwtDA0NADzLMCkIQyAeSbmxkAFFsYRYJ6ziXO4gXOAexREt4meoYGxnqWRua4pWCAi0tLC3MQUaE4sAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Data = _t]),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each (regex([Data]) <> "null"))
in
#"Filtered Rows"

From here 

smpa01_0-1637330187722.png

to here

smpa01_1-1637330218576.png

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-use-JavaScript-inside-power-query-for-data-ex...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Using-JavaScript-in-power-query-for-regex-Part2/ba-p...

@smpa01 - I assumes this refreshes ok in the service and not just the desktop?

@edumach - This is probably the best solution if you're happy with the JavaScript approach. The other way to tackle it is to identify that the string has alphas as the first two characters and then confirm the string length. I can put something together if JavaScript regex is not what you're looking for.

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

@KNP - I assumes this refreshes ok in the service and not just the desktop? - yes Sir, it would refresh without trouble in service; I run several regex on my premium workspace both in DF and dataset

KNP
Super User
Super User

Are you saying there are other records in the Passport column that don't follow this pattern and you want to exclude them?

Need more info.

Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
KIfp67uy-Sr

@KNP I don't want to exclude, just filter

Sorry, I want If it doesn't have this format then return "not passport"

@edumach 

let
regex=let   fx=(input)=>
Web.Page(
"<script>
document.write(b);

in
fx,
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each let x = regex([Data]) in 
if x="null" then "not passport" else x)
in
    #"Added Custom"

smpa01_0-1637763113638.png

@edumach  did you have a chance to look into the solution I provided?

Makes sense, can you provide examples of the ones that don't match this pattern?

Are they always a very different pattern?

chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

KIfp67uy-Sr

@KNP has several different formats in this field, other examples have only numbers like these("382098110","8","111111111"), others with more letters that do not apply to passport ("47398183X","C4CW0CPGZ") and with special characters("34.103.927-5")

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors