cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timsalch Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

unable to remove offline gateway

I had a system set up as my gateway, however it encountered a failure and is no longer bootable.  A gateway was installed on a replacement machine as a new gateway instead of migrating. 

Now my data sets are still referencing the old gateway which is no longer available.  The new gateway is configured and the data source added, but the data set doesn't seem to recognize it. 

I tried uninstyalling and reinstalling the gateway to do a migration of an existing gateway, however my only option to migrate is the new gateway that was previously installed on the same machine. 

How can I get the data sets to refresh through the new gateway?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Re: unable to remove offline gateway

Hi @timsalch,

In Power BI Desktop, please delete the Excel data source in your PBIX file, then republish it to Power BI Service. Then you should be able to use on-premises gateway to set schedule refresh for this dataset.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
ankitpatira Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@timsalch In power bi service on top right hand corner click settings wheel icon -> Manage gateways -> then under list of gatewas you should be able to click ellipses (three dots) by hovering over the name of your old gateway and click Remove. That may not automatically switch your reports to the new gateway and you may need to remove existing reports from pbi service and republish for them to start usign new gateway. 

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the reply. 

When i go to the manage gateway the orignal gateway is not there, only the new ones.  I removed all data sets and re-uplaoded form power BI desktop.  However still when I go to scheudle refresh it tells me the gateway is offline and is pointing to the old gateway.  Mange gateways only shows the new gateway. 

image.pngimage.png

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Hi @timsalch,

Based on your description, you want to switch Personal gateway to On-premises gateway and want to schedule refresh for your dataset by utilizing the On-premises gateway. If that is the case, please firstly add data source under the On-premises gateway, and make sure that data source information you add under the gateway matches exactly what you configure in Power BI Desktop. Assume that you connect to SQL Server database from Power BI Desktop, please ensure that server and database name completely match between Power BI Desktop and the data source within the on-premises data gateway.

In addition, please uninstall personal gateway from Control Panel. If the personal gateway is not removed completely, you can use CCleaner to clean up registry of personal gateway, manually delete personal gateway folder under C:\Program Files.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the response @v-yuezhe-msft.

I have confirmed rthe server name and database do match between the source in POwer BI desktop and the data source in the power BI service under amange gateways.  AS far as the personal gateway, that machine is no longer bootable so it is completly offline.  However when I go to scheule refresh of the data set, it is still pointed at the personal gateway. 

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Hi @timsalch

What is the data source in your dataset? Does your dataset contain other type of data sources except SQL Server data source?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Frequent Visitor

It does include a single excel file data source, however it is broken right now as the file was overwritten so I have disabled it in the refresh.  @v-yuezhe-msft

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Hi @timsalch,

In Power BI Desktop, please delete the Excel data source in your PBIX file, then republish it to Power BI Service. Then you should be able to use on-premises gateway to set schedule refresh for this dataset.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

View solution in original post

Frequent Visitor

Hello @v-yuezhe-msft,

I did delete the Excel data source and deleted the query based off of it.  I then removed all data sets from PowerBI Service and reuploaded using Power BI Desktop.  The on-prem gateway shows online, however if I refresh the data set is still attempting to use the personal gateway.

image.png

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Hi @timsalch,

Could you please post the screenshot that  you successfully set schedule refresh for the dataset using on-premises gateway? Do you get the above error when clicking "Refresh now"?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Learn the answers to some of the questions asked during the Amanda Triple A event.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 247 members 2,541 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: