Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

timsalch
Regular Visitor

unable to remove offline gateway

I had a system set up as my gateway, however it encountered a failure and is no longer bootable.  A gateway was installed on a replacement machine as a new gateway instead of migrating. 

Now my data sets are still referencing the old gateway which is no longer available.  The new gateway is configured and the data source added, but the data set doesn't seem to recognize it. 

I tried uninstyalling and reinstalling the gateway to do a migration of an existing gateway, however my only option to migrate is the new gateway that was previously installed on the same machine. 

How can I get the data sets to refresh through the new gateway?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @timsalch,

In Power BI Desktop, please delete the Excel data source in your PBIX file, then republish it to Power BI Service. Then you should be able to use on-premises gateway to set schedule refresh for this dataset.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@timsalch In power bi service on top right hand corner click settings wheel icon -> Manage gateways -> then under list of gatewas you should be able to click ellipses (three dots) by hovering over the name of your old gateway and click Remove. That may not automatically switch your reports to the new gateway and you may need to remove existing reports from pbi service and republish for them to start usign new gateway. 

Thank you for the reply. 

When i go to the manage gateway the orignal gateway is not there, only the new ones.  I removed all data sets and re-uplaoded form power BI desktop.  However still when I go to scheudle refresh it tells me the gateway is offline and is pointing to the old gateway.  Mange gateways only shows the new gateway. 

image.pngimage.png

Hi @timsalch,

Based on your description, you want to switch Personal gateway to On-premises gateway and want to schedule refresh for your dataset by utilizing the On-premises gateway. If that is the case, please firstly add data source under the On-premises gateway, and make sure that data source information you add under the gateway matches exactly what you configure in Power BI Desktop. Assume that you connect to SQL Server database from Power BI Desktop, please ensure that server and database name completely match between Power BI Desktop and the data source within the on-premises data gateway.

In addition, please uninstall personal gateway from Control Panel. If the personal gateway is not removed completely, you can use CCleaner to clean up registry of personal gateway, manually delete personal gateway folder under C:\Program Files.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the response @v-yuezhe-msft.

I have confirmed rthe server name and database do match between the source in POwer BI desktop and the data source in the power BI service under amange gateways.  AS far as the personal gateway, that machine is no longer bootable so it is completly offline.  However when I go to scheule refresh of the data set, it is still pointed at the personal gateway. 

Hi @timsalch

What is the data source in your dataset? Does your dataset contain other type of data sources except SQL Server data source?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

It does include a single excel file data source, however it is broken right now as the file was overwritten so I have disabled it in the refresh.  @v-yuezhe-msft

Hi @timsalch,

In Power BI Desktop, please delete the Excel data source in your PBIX file, then republish it to Power BI Service. Then you should be able to use on-premises gateway to set schedule refresh for this dataset.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hello @v-yuezhe-msft,

I did delete the Excel data source and deleted the query based off of it.  I then removed all data sets from PowerBI Service and reuploaded using Power BI Desktop.  The on-prem gateway shows online, however if I refresh the data set is still attempting to use the personal gateway.

image.png

Hi @timsalch,

Could you please post the screenshot that  you successfully set schedule refresh for the dataset using on-premises gateway? Do you get the above error when clicking "Refresh now"?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Thank you for your help @v-yuezhe-msft.

It looks liek after i removed the query using the excel data source and re-uplaoded the data set, i now have an option for which gateway i want to use.  The old personal offline gateway is still there but i also have the on prem as an option to refresh the data soruce.  I switched it over and applied it it looks like refreshing is successful.  I put my schedule bakc on so hopefully the scheduled refresh goes through in the morning.

EDIT:

It works without the excel data source.  As soon as I add an Excel data source back and re-publish, it defaults to the personal gateway and i no longer ahve a choice to use the data gateway. 

Hi @timsalch,

Where do you store the Excel file? If you store it in onedrive, you will be forced to use personal gateway when combining the Excel data source and SQL Server data source in a single dataset. Beacuse the on-premises gateway doesn't work with online data sources currently.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hello @v-yuezhe-msft,

The excel file is on the same machine that is hosting the on prem gateway.   

Hi @timsalch,

How do you add the Excel data source under on-premises gateway?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Thank you once again @v-yuezhe-msft.  I had not added the file as a data source in the service yet.  I have added it, reuploaded and refresh is working now. I still cannot remove the gateway from the machine that no longer exists, however it shouldnt cause me any issues now either.

Thank you for all of your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors