Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

ssas connector

Hi
My company has decidated to work with Power BI Service. We are not sure if we have to setup the SSAS connector on the on prem sql server or on each client as the connector asks for the user credentials.
If we setup the connector on the server whom credentials are to be used?
Thx in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx @Seth_C_Bauer
Yes we are using a tabular model.

One more question.
Which credentials are to be used for sining in to power bi in the setup?
Must the admin have a power bi account too? Or may I go with an user account for power bi in the connector setup?

@Anonymous

The creds that have admin rights and that you want to use to set up the SSAS instance...

I do not believe there is any need for the admin to have a power bi account. If you use a user account, that account needs admin privelages, and if there is a password cycle period (which most accounts have) you will cause the SSAS connector to fail when the user password is reset.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Anonymous 1) My assumption is that you are using tabular models, as multidimensional isn't supported with this connector. 2)The setup can be on any domain computer, doesn't have to the the AS instance (but it can be). It certainly does NOT need to be on each client.

This guide will help you with any questions you may have.

Just be sure the windows creds have sys admin (as noted in the guide), and that the password doesn't need updating

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors