Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iskhj000
Frequent Visitor

shared data structure

I am currently working in a very fluid environment where there are changes to the source data structure daily.

I thought I could do all the manipulation in a Power BI report and then publish it so other reports could use the dataset.  I thought a dataset contains information about the data source, data source credentials, and in many cases, a sub-set of data copied from the data source.

When I tried to pull in the published dataset into a new Power BI report it will not let me refresh.  So I am assuming its using the data structure AND the data?

So how can I create data structure that can be shared with all the Power BI reports?

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@iskhj000,

How do you pull the published dataset into a new power bi report? If you connect to Power BI Service dataset in Power BI Desktop, the new report use the data structure and data or your original dataset, and you are able to refresh the new Power BI Report by clicking refresh button. After you publish the report to Power BI Service, it will also get updated based on the refresh schedule of your original dataset.
1.PNG

Additionally, please check if you Power BI Template meets your requirement. With PBIT, you can create data structure that can be shared with all the reports. 

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks sooo much for your help.  This will save me from pulling my hair out if this works.

I created a simple SharePoint list and made 3 entries on it

I created a Power BI report called Sample Model, pulled in the 2 fields and added a date column. 
I thn published it to My Workspace
pic1.png

I created a new Power BI report and pulled in the just published dataset

I see the 2 fields I added earlier (pulled in from SharePoint) and the date I added

I changed the values on the SharePoint site

The Refresh button is not greyed out on the new report.  When I click it nothing happens and I don’t see refresh available when I right click on the query.

What am I doing wrong?

pic2.png

@iskhj000,

The new Power BI Desktop report  connects to Power BI Service dataset as data source, you would need to make sure the Power BI Service dataset is updated to latest data, and then click Refresh in Power BI Desktop.

In your scenario, it is more convenient to publish the new Power BI Desktop report to Power BI Service and refresh the old and new reports in Power BI Service with scheduled refresh. 

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors