Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mauropasi
Advocate I
Advocate I

scheduling different refresh times for different tables in an sql on-premise database

Hi everybody. Does anybody know if it is possible to schedule different refresh times for different tables in an sql on-premise database?

I have a table that contains historical data that does not change often (if ever) so no need to refresh it as often as the tables that do change. Can I move those tables to a different source maybe and set different scheduled refreshes that way?

I am talking about very big tables which is why I don't want to waste resources in useless refreshes. Or is the gateway smart enough to understand that the data has not changed since and so there is nothing to refresh?

2 REPLIES 2
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mauropasi In PowerBI desktop if you click Edit Queries -> In Query Editor right click your table -> Properties -> Uncheck 'Enable refresh of this query' -> Close & Apply -> Save, next time you hit refresh in power bi desktop it will not refresh that table. When you publish that report to PowerBI service and is manually refresh or schedule refresh it should do the same as PowerBI desktop.

However in my testing I've found PowerBI service is still refreshing all the tables. I have submitted a support ticket with Microsoft for these and I will let you know as soon as I get response.

mauropasi
Advocate I
Advocate I

Perhaps it can be done with some checks in an advanced query so that the query doesn't actually fetch any more data even if the scheduler requests it.

If anybody has any experience with this I would like to hear your opinions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors