Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hxkresl
Helper V
Helper V

rowcount during CSV import truncated - using Power BI Desktop

using powershell i verified rowcount of source csv file : 1068606

after import (Get Data>csv)  I check row count using query editor>transform tab>count rows feature and get 946,677.  I double check this by creating a measure with function countrows(), and get 947K

how to capture all rows on import???

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @hxkresl

Could you please save the CSV file into txt format or Excel format, then connect to it from Power BI Desktop and check the result?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Since the data is too large for  a single excel file and getdata/folder option has been problematic for me, I have uploaded them seperately.  Sum of rows imported between three files (198,103, 657,844, and 212,657) is 1,068,604.  

But this is not solution, as I need all data imported together.  Reason for csv file is that I was able to pipe these three files into one csv using command line.

I would like to be able to import either the csv file with all rows or figure out how getdata/folder works, but I must be able to import all rows at once (SQL query not option). Is there some limitation with csv?  

Hi @hxkresl,

According to my knowledge, there is no limitation for CSV file in Power BI Desktop. What is the problem when you use Get Data->File->Folder entry to import all excel files to Power BI Desktop? You can review the deatiled steps in this similar blog.

In addition, when you save the CSV file into Text format, and use Get Data->File->Text entry to import data, what is the result?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am able to use GetData/Folder method for a collection of csv files and get correct rowcount.   This is good.

Seems I am only having trouble with GetData/Folder method for a collection of excel files and with importing a single csv file having 1,068,604 rows.  For the present task am satisfied, but am very much worried for the day the client requirement is to consume excel workbook files or large csv files.  

Can we look deeper at the issue of the combined excel files and large csv file import?

Hi @hxkresl,

What is the problem when you import multiple excel file to Power BI? Also would you mind sharing me the CSV file so that I can test?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors