Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

12Bowers12
Helper V
Helper V

replace one table with a merged identical table

Good afternoon, everyone,

I have an Excel file with 3000 rows and 6 columns. I need to copy and paste this Excel file into Power BI so there will be no any connection between Power BI and the Excel data source.

Since Power BI limits the copy and paste to 3000 cells, I split the Excel files into a few parts. Then I copy and paste these small Excel files into Power BI and merge these tables using Appdend Queries approach. Until this step, it works perfectly.

Now I need to use this merged table to repace another indentical table named [New York] and then delete all these tables including the merged tables. I just could not go through this step.

Appreciate your help.

Dennis

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @12Bowers12 ,

I've had a look through your conversation with @Greg_Deckler and feel that you both may be missing a trick here.

I am assuming that you want to copy and paste your data from Excel to PBI because you don't want PBI data to change if the Excel workbook is updated and saved, right?

If so, then create a new query connecting to your Excel file as normal. When the table has loaded, right-click on the table/query name and uncheck 'Include in report refresh'. This will prevent this query from going back to the Excel source and getting updates.

Call this new query 'New York' and you're done.

Apologies if I've misunderstood your requirements.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

Thank you, Pete,

Based on your advice, I uncheck 'Include in Report Refresh' to cut off the dependency on the Excel data source. Since there is an existing table 'New York', I just delete the existing table 'New York' and rename the new table as 'New York'. Then I recreate the visuals based on the new table 'New York'.

The reason I want to cut off the dependency of the table 'New York' on the Excel data source is that the clouds don't allow to set up scheduled refresh due to credential issue.

By the way, what's difference between 'Include in Report Refresh' and 'Enable Load'?

Appreciate your help and Greg's help.

Dennis

@12Bowers12 Include in report refresh prevents the query from reaching out to the source. Enable load loads the data into the data model. So, for example, for intermediate queries that feed a main query, you want to disable load but leave the include in report refresh so that those queries still feed the data to the main query. And @BA_Pete is correct about turning off refresh query, I guess I didn't go there because the question was about copying and pasting.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

12 REPLIES 12
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @12Bowers12 ,

I've had a look through your conversation with @Greg_Deckler and feel that you both may be missing a trick here.

I am assuming that you want to copy and paste your data from Excel to PBI because you don't want PBI data to change if the Excel workbook is updated and saved, right?

If so, then create a new query connecting to your Excel file as normal. When the table has loaded, right-click on the table/query name and uncheck 'Include in report refresh'. This will prevent this query from going back to the Excel source and getting updates.

Call this new query 'New York' and you're done.

Apologies if I've misunderstood your requirements.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thank you, Pete,

Based on your advice, I uncheck 'Include in Report Refresh' to cut off the dependency on the Excel data source. Since there is an existing table 'New York', I just delete the existing table 'New York' and rename the new table as 'New York'. Then I recreate the visuals based on the new table 'New York'.

The reason I want to cut off the dependency of the table 'New York' on the Excel data source is that the clouds don't allow to set up scheduled refresh due to credential issue.

By the way, what's difference between 'Include in Report Refresh' and 'Enable Load'?

Appreciate your help and Greg's help.

Dennis

Hi @12Bowers12 ,

Glad this has worked out for you.

Did you accidentally mark your own response as the solution instead of my answer, or was there a specific reason my answer didn't work for you?

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thank you so much for help, Pete, it works perfectly now! Have a good day.

@12Bowers12 Include in report refresh prevents the query from reaching out to the source. Enable load loads the data into the data model. So, for example, for intermediate queries that feed a main query, you want to disable load but leave the include in report refresh so that those queries still feed the data to the main query. And @BA_Pete is correct about turning off refresh query, I guess I didn't go there because the question was about copying and pasting.

Latest book!:

Thank you so much, Greg,

Sorry for the confusion.

Have a nice weekend.

Dennis

12Bowers12
Helper V
Helper V

Thank you, Greg,

Do you mean to uncheck "Enable Load" on table [New York]?

I don't want to keep the tables from copyed/ pasted from Excel and  the newly  merged table in Power BI.

Dennis

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@12Bowers12 Don't delete them, right-click the queries and uncheck "Enable load"

Latest book!:

Greg, 

If I uncheck Enable Load on table [New York], all the visuals related to table [New York] are disabled.

Please be advised.

Dennis

Greg,

This question is actually related to other issue:

How to copy and paste an Excel files with more than 3000 cells into a Power BI table?

Dennis

@12Bowers12 No, just disable load on the intermediate queries where you pasted them in. You an replace the New York query by taking the query that appends all your intermediate queries and opening Advanced Editor. Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C. Now open the New York query, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-V. 

To copy and paste more than 3,000 cells. Short answer is that you don't.

Latest book!:

Thank you, Greg,

I have disabled load on the intermediate queries on tables 2-6. Then I copied and pasted the query from the merged table to table [New York].

Then I delete the temporary merged table. But when I tried to delete tables 2-6 but got denied as table [New York] query appends the five tables. I don't need the five intermeiate tables.

#"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({#"Changed Type", Table2, Table3, Table4, Table5, Table6})

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors