Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aclark7020
Frequent Visitor

"there are pending changes in your queries" won't go away and Power Query just hangs on refresh

Starting just this week, all my reports persistently show the "pending changes in your queries" message as soon as I open them in Power bi Desktop. Nothing gets rid of it. When I open Power Query and try to refresh, it shows several tables with the yellow warning triangle and just spins without progress on actually refreshing anything. These are small tables that always displayed and refreshed quickly before.  I suspect the latest release sabotaged me, because I didn't change anything.

I have Version: 2.108.603.0 64-bit (August 2022)

Anyone else run into this? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

No 😞 I tried to clear the cache from PBI and reinstall the same version but either didn't worked, I'll install the July version and expect that solves the problem

This link have the previous version to download

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-de...

View solution in original post

I found the solution for this in a forum entry from two years ago when the same thing happened - a new release caused the persistent "there are pending changes in your queries" message. The problem went away just by changing the name of a parameter in Power Query. Weirdest part: The parameter was not loaded or even in use.  

parry2k said:

06-25-2020 09:11 AM

Try following solution

Download the latest June 2020 build (version: 2.82.5858.961). If the issue still exists, try the following:

1. Click “Discard changes” on the yellow warning bar, and take note of which tables its identifying as stale
    2. In the Power Query Editor, change the description for each of the “stale” queries with value something like “test”
    3. Apply changes

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi, this same problem has been happening to me since the update.  All of a sudden i have changes associated with my parameters that have pending changes. I havent even made a single change to the pbix and this problem has been consistently showing up. Its clearly a bug.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

I think you can use the August version if you delete your "helper queries" with errors.  It solved it for me. Not saying that's the solution for all. Anyhow, have a great day 🙂 

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

I'm having the same issue after updating to Version: 2.108.603.0 on the weekend.

lucasmnx
Frequent Visitor

Its happening the same issue with me (same version, before the update I have no issues), I'm trying to resolve this but have no success yet, I'll try to reinstall de software.

So did that work? 

No 😞 I tried to clear the cache from PBI and reinstall the same version but either didn't worked, I'll install the July version and expect that solves the problem

This link have the previous version to download

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-de...

Reverting to July 2022 did solve it. Thanks! 

I found the solution for this in a forum entry from two years ago when the same thing happened - a new release caused the persistent "there are pending changes in your queries" message. The problem went away just by changing the name of a parameter in Power Query. Weirdest part: The parameter was not loaded or even in use.  

parry2k said:

06-25-2020 09:11 AM

Try following solution

Download the latest June 2020 build (version: 2.82.5858.961). If the issue still exists, try the following:

1. Click “Discard changes” on the yellow warning bar, and take note of which tables its identifying as stale
    2. In the Power Query Editor, change the description for each of the “stale” queries with value something like “test”
    3. Apply changes

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 

I got it! There are "helper queries" in power query. Some have errors (little yellow triangles with exclamation points) . I deleted all of the helper queries with little yellow exclamation points next to them and the box disappeared! It seems prior versions of PBI tolerated helper queries with errors. Let me know if this works!

I went down the list of queries in Power Query and resolved all the helper queries with yellow triangles, but that did not make the message "there are pending changes in your queries that haven't been applied" go away. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors