Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ssingh_leecare
Frequent Visitor

"Use first row as headers" alters the column names.

We have a massive dataset comprising multiple tables in csv format in an azure blob. While importing th data into powerbi, the azure blob combines and returns a single import file in powerbi, which have to be further divided into separate queries.

The steps followed for that are here: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-transform-multiple-CSV-files-from-Blob-storage-witho...

NOTE: I have disabled power bi from detecting the data types on its own, thereby resulting in the column names as the first row.

On clicking the "use first row as header", Powerbi is altering the column names for at least half of the columns. I haven't been able to catch the reason behind this.

CHANGE: if the original name was xyz, then the name becomes xyz_1. (and followed by 2,3 .... after _)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

This happens when the same column name is already existing. Hence, if you are having say 4 columns names xyz, then first will be uploaded as xyz and remaining will be suffixed with 1,2,3...

Can you check if this is the case or not?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ssingh_leecare
Frequent Visitor

@Vijay_A_Verma thanks for such a fast response.

I just checked and noticed exactly what you said. 

Will get back to the community once I figure out why that happened!

The reason is that the column names need to be unique in Power Query. If you write TableName[ColumnName] it has to refer to a single column, not a bunch of columns.

Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

This happens when the same column name is already existing. Hence, if you are having say 4 columns names xyz, then first will be uploaded as xyz and remaining will be suffixed with 1,2,3...

Can you check if this is the case or not?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors