Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Push Data" as opposed to "Get Data"

So I have been playing around with PowerBI and the power that it offers is starting to sink in.... from what I gather, it's now possible(or at least close) to create fully featured apps that previously needed a team of developers to build, especially when all you want to do is slice and query massive amounts of data. I am thinking internal apps, not for public consumption.

Is there a way to, for example, put a button on the dashboard and when it is pressed some code is run and the data within a particular component is pushed to an external API? 

5 REPLIES 5
ryanvb83
Regular Visitor

I have this same need.  Do you know if this feature has ever been introduced?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No @ryanvb83 this feature isn't implemented and I wouldn't expect it ever would be.  As a reporting solution it is designed to be the end of the waterfall.  I doubt there will ever be a function that will let you push water back up against gravity, or so to speak.

That's what I feared 😞

I'm looking at Power Apps and Flow to see if I can accomplish this.  However, I would ultimately need to be able to embed the App/Flow in the Power BI report and pass parameters from Power BI through App/Flow.  We'll see...

ryanvb83
Regular Visitor

I have this same need.  Do you know if this feature has ever been introduced?

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous At the moment no. Power BI is cloud based reporting and visualisation tool therefore you shouldn't be looking at doing that via Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors