Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Left join" of Google Analytics Custom Dimensions?

Hi,

I've got a GA query as such:

#"Added Items" = Cube.Transform(#"00000000",
        {
            {Cube.AddAndExpandDimensionColumn, "ga:hostname", {"ga:hostname"}, {"Hostname"}},
            {Cube.AddAndExpandDimensionColumn, "ga:pagePath", {"ga:pagePath"}, {"Page"}},
            {Cube.AddAndExpandDimensionColumn, "ga:source", {"ga:source"}, {"Source"}},
            {Cube.AddAndExpandDimensionColumn, "ga:campaign", {"ga:campaign"}, {"Campaign"}},
            {Cube.AddAndExpandDimensionColumn, "ga:dimension2", {"ga:dimension2"}, {"XYZ 1"}},
            {Cube.AddAndExpandDimensionColumn, "ga:dimension1", {"ga:dimension1"}, {"XYZ 2"}},
            {Cube.AddAndExpandDimensionColumn, "ga:date", {"ga:date"}, {"Date"}},
            {Cube.AddMeasureColumn, "Pageviews", "ga:pageviews"},
            {Cube.AddMeasureColumn, "Users", "ga:users"}
        })

The two custom dimensions are fairly new.

By adding them, the dataset is limited to the timespan since we added them.

Is there any way to have GA return data for all time, making the values for them "(not set)" or something?

I suspect it's a limitation in the GA APIs, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Have a brewing idea that I could make an "append" query limited to all time before we added them...?

Ideas appreciated. 🙂

Lars-Erik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

it's related to Google API, so if you can create such a query using different tools, then it should also be possible in Power Query. But it's not really M question

As for the append idea - you could do that, but you have to consider that the values will be doubled for the set with custom dimensions (as they are also included in full query). You could work around that by

• filtering the full query to time period before the custom measures were added and appending after that
  • using merge instead of append, which will result in adding the dimensions to the full set only where the join criteria is met

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

it's related to Google API, so if you can create such a query using different tools, then it should also be possible in Power Query. But it's not really M question

As for the append idea - you could do that, but you have to consider that the values will be doubled for the set with custom dimensions (as they are also included in full query). You could work around that by

• filtering the full query to time period before the custom measures were added and appending after that
  • using merge instead of append, which will result in adding the dimensions to the full set only where the join criteria is met

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks,

I managed to make this work with an append. Also learned that M is lazy and smart enough to push time parameters up to the GA queries, so all good! 🙂

Lars-Erik

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors