Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Gateway service is not running" error while signing in the gateway (personal)

Please help!

All that I have built has stopped refreshing after I tried to install the new Gateway (personal mode)

I had a personal gateway which worked fine, but then I saw Microsoft notice that it will stop working on July 31, so I upgraded.

During the installation it asked me to sign-in, but after thinking a while it showed these errors:

"gateway service is not running"

"Ensure "{0}" is running in the Services control panel"

Please help!

I need to get it working fast

Thank you!

Michaelg1.JPG

g2.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello friends,

We've managed to solve the problem - it was Firewall that was blocking the Gateway.

I don't have details, since the IT department has solved it, but I know there is a documentation on Firewall settings out there.

I just wish that Microsoft would make the error message clearer or add this error to troubleshoot document.

This could have saved many hours.

@olipip

@kaledjeff

Hope it works for you

Good luck!

Michael

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have configured gateway service in vdi platform.Its working when i logged as administrator but not working for users.Could you please help on this.

1)Tried to configure gateway service as domain admin

2)Restarted the service

3)folder have enough permission

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.ConfigurationContracts.IGatewayConfigurationService.GetConfiguration()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.GetConfiguration()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.GetConfiguration()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUiCommon.ConfiguratorInitializationContextFactory.<GetConfiguratorStateAsync>d__2.MoveNext()'
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Exception thrown during GetConfiguration: 'Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClientException: Error retrieving gateway configuration. Please ensure your gateway is running on the local computer and it is updated to the latest version.
Exception message: Access is denied. ---> System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityAccessDeniedException: Access is denied.

Server stack trace:
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ThrowIfFaultUnderstood(Message reply, MessageFault fault, String action, MessageVersion version, FaultConverter faultConverter)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.ConfigurationContracts.IGatewayConfigurationService.GetConfiguration()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUiCommon.ConfiguratorInitializationContextFactory.<GetConfiguratorStateAsync>d__2.MoveNext()'
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Exception thrown during GetConfiguration: 'Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClientException: Error retrieving gateway configuration. Please ensure your gateway is running on the local computer and it is updated to the latest version.
Exception message: Access is denied. ---> System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityAccessDeniedException: Access is denied.

vijethshetty22
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

I am also facing the exact same issue. Can someone tell me as to what exactly needs to be done in Firewall?

I tried to add On Premises Gateway in "Allowed Programs" in Firewall. But still I am getting the same error.

Thanks in Advance.

Vijeth Shetty.

@vijethshetty22@Anonymous@olipip

Kindly be informed that Power bi Gateway is using those outbound ports : TCP 443 (default), 5671, 5672, 9350 thru 9354 , to communicate with online server.

BR

jgp
Frequent Visitor

I faced the same issue with the new gateway. Working with no issues after opening above ports in the firewall. 

Thanks for the post.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a known IP address for the personal gateway? I know there's the whitelist and ports, but when I pulled up what was "blocked" the IP nor port was on the whitelist: 52-90-194-102 and 9571

olipip
Frequent Visitor

I've got exactly the same issue. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone from Microsoft, please help!

@v-qiuyu-msft Qiuyun ?

@v-yuezhe-msft Lydia ?

Please help,

All the projects we've build have stopped refreshing because of this issue.

To whom can I send the log files?

Who can help?

Thank you

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello friends,

We've managed to solve the problem - it was Firewall that was blocking the Gateway.

I don't have details, since the IT department has solved it, but I know there is a documentation on Firewall settings out there.

I just wish that Microsoft would make the error message clearer or add this error to troubleshoot document.

This could have saved many hours.

@olipip

@kaledjeff

Hope it works for you

Good luck!

Michael

kaledjeff
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello @Anonymous,

I'm facing exactly the same problem. Is there a solution?

BR

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors