Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

schevalier
Regular Visitor

publishing to power bi - add data

I've downloaded the On-premises data gateway it's giving me the message as you can see : "for Power BI, you need to add your data sources to this gateway." I've been looking on the forum and the website but no help on how to do so.

I tryied then to use power BI and when i want to publish the report, i get a no connexion error but I was able to get the query from the right server.

Thank you for your help 

gateway.PNGgateway2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @schevalier,

For the message "for Power BI, you need to add your data sources to this gateway", it means you already setup the on-premise data gateway, but you need to add data sources that can be used with the gateway. To add a data source under data gateway, you can log on Power BI Service, gear icon in the upper-right corner > Manage gateways > Add data source.

w1.PNG

When you published the report to Power BI Service which retrieve data from on-premise data source, it requires gateway to act as a bridge between data source and Power BI Service. So in your scenario, the error message is prompting you to add a data source under data gateway and set the dataset to use this data source. You need to make sure the connection information used in data gateway is the same as the one in desktop.

For more information, you can refer to this sample:

Manage your data source - SQL Server.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @schevalier,

For the message "for Power BI, you need to add your data sources to this gateway", it means you already setup the on-premise data gateway, but you need to add data sources that can be used with the gateway. To add a data source under data gateway, you can log on Power BI Service, gear icon in the upper-right corner > Manage gateways > Add data source.

w1.PNG

When you published the report to Power BI Service which retrieve data from on-premise data source, it requires gateway to act as a bridge between data source and Power BI Service. So in your scenario, the error message is prompting you to add a data source under data gateway and set the dataset to use this data source. You need to make sure the connection information used in data gateway is the same as the one in desktop.

For more information, you can refer to this sample:

Manage your data source - SQL Server.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Sacha
Resolver I
Resolver I

YOu have to add the data sources through the Manage Gateway section on the Power BI Service (app.powerbi.com).  Look for the 'settings cog' icon and you will find Manage Gateways there.

HTH

Sacha

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors