Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

published report can't connect to on premise data - help?

on pbi.com, the gateway i created reports "Online: You are good to go".

the data source under the gateway reports "Connection successful"

i have a sql2012 tabular model that powers the report. the model is too large to import into pbi desktop - i received a timeout when i tried.

so i did a "live connection" to the model in pbi desktop and made a simple report. the report works fine locally.

i then published the report from pbi desktop to pbi.com.

when i click on the report on pbi.com i receive the error "there was a data source error. please contact the gateway administrator." across the top of the screen. in each of the report controls the error "couldn't load the model schema" is displayed.

the data source model lives on a server at home, on a computer without a domain. no ports are being forwarded.

what am i doing wrong here? why can't the published report access the data when all the gateway stuff reports everything is fine?

thanks for any tips,
sff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

A domain is required in that scenario. The reason for this is EffectiveUserName. The Analysis Services instance has to be on a domain joined machine. And, the gateway has to be on a machine in the same domain, or in a domain where a trust exists.

This works fine in Power BI Desktop as that doesn't use EffectiveUserName to connect.

Adam W. Saxton | Microsoft Employee | Business Intelligence
@GuyInACube | youtube.com/guyinacube

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@Anonymous Does the user that you used to set up the gateway have permissions on the tabular model? It also very welll could be an issue that the SSAS instance doesn't belong to the same domain as the tenant set up that you are using Power BI in... The other option here is to try UPN mapping on the data source - check this

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Eno,

Thanks for the reply.

There is no domain anywhere in this (hence no UPN), and there is only one user: me. I'm just trying out PBI on my own win10 no-domain laptop. For testing purposes I've set the ssas tabular instance to Everyone permissions, and login is via service account.

I've tried changing effective username mapping on pbi.com as per https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise-manage-ssas/#map-user-n... . I checked the gateway log file and verified that effective username was being applied and corresponded to user accounts on my local computer and local ssas. I tried username, computer\username, and Everyone. No change in end result trying to view the report on pbi.com - "There was a data source access error", "Couldn't load the model schema".

lol I've always sucked at connectivity/permissions issues 😞

Open to any other ideas,

sff

@Anonymous I don't really know of a work around to this... 

This video by @GuyInACube outlines how Power BI interacts with the EG/now called "on premises data gateway" - and connections to AS work... From my understanding some domain recognition is required in order for the user to be recognized.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks much - will check it & see if i can kludge something together...

sff

A domain is required in that scenario. The reason for this is EffectiveUserName. The Analysis Services instance has to be on a domain joined machine. And, the gateway has to be on a machine in the same domain, or in a domain where a trust exists.

This works fine in Power BI Desktop as that doesn't use EffectiveUserName to connect.

Adam W. Saxton | Microsoft Employee | Business Intelligence
@GuyInACube | youtube.com/guyinacube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors