Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

El_Ha
Frequent Visitor

power query simple id match failing

Hello and thank you for reading,

I am working on a large report mostly consisting of 2 tables, though I am not sure that I would need both.
The tables look like this:

Cases Table:

El_Ha_0-1626233254313.png

Contacts Table:

El_Ha_1-1626233312420.png

I am trying to create a new table that will allow me to show something like this:

ContactIDCase1Case2Case3Case4
abcdHelp with xInformation on y  
hijkHelp with zInformation on y  
hijkHelp with x   
lmnoHelp with xHelp with yHelp with zHelp with f

So far I have gotten the list of contact IDs, however I need to write another column next to this which will return a filtered version of the Case table, where the contact IDs match in both tables.

I tried to write something to do this in power query and thought it was quite simple to do, however I keep getting the following error whenever I try to open up a table returned here in the custom column.

El_Ha_2-1626233903139.png

El_Ha_3-1626233923455.png

Any advice is appreciated as I am a newbie with powerBI and have no formal training in any data analysis etc.

Thank you,

El

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @El_Ha ,

your formula should look like so:

Table.SelectRows(Case, (eachCaseRow) => [ContantID] = eachCaseRow[ContactID] )

So you have to define your function in there with a uniquie identifier that you use for the field you want to adress from the lookkup-rows.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
El_Ha
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Thank you for your response,  unfortunately I couldnt get this to work though, I am quite new with power query and don't quite understand the syntax there although I have tried to search online.  If I copy paste what you have given I get the same error

Thanks

El

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @El_Ha ,

your formula should look like so:

Table.SelectRows(Case, (eachCaseRow) => [ContantID] = eachCaseRow[ContactID] )

So you have to define your function in there with a uniquie identifier that you use for the field you want to adress from the lookkup-rows.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors