Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

refex

power query M equivalent of SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR

In my report I have a measure in DAX built in this way:

MonthlyValuePreviousYear = CALCULATE(SUM('myData'[MonthlyValue]), SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('myData'[Timestamp]))

for some needs which I have to conform to this logic must be moved in power query so written in M language, I just started with power bi and DAX, let alone M... so I searched a bit but could not find a suitable example online.
Is it possible to convert the logic above in M to create a calculated column that shows in the same row the value of the previous year (exacly 12 month before)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Add a column:

= Table.AddColumn(TableName, "LastYearDate", each Date.AddYears([DateColumn, -1))

If I named that step LastYear, then I would add a join:

Table.Join(TableName, {"LastYearDate"}, LastStep, {"LastYearDate"}, JoinKind.LeftOuter)

Now your Current Dates are lined up with last years dates, along with everything from those rows.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Add a column:

= Table.AddColumn(TableName, "LastYearDate", each Date.AddYears([DateColumn, -1))

If I named that step LastYear, then I would add a join:

Table.Join(TableName, {"LastYearDate"}, LastStep, {"LastYearDate"}, JoinKind.LeftOuter)

Now your Current Dates are lined up with last years dates, along with everything from those rows.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

It solved for me, thank you.

I'm avoiding to do this in DAX cause I need to dynamically rename the MonthlyValue based on other values and I managed to do this only in power query. Otherwise I wouldd-ve stuck with dax 

Hi @refex ,

Did my answer work for you?

If so, please consider marking it as the solution to help others find the answer quicker.

Thanks,

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @refex ,

Try:

Date.AddYears([Date], -1)

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @BA_Pete, thank you for your answer.

With your suggestion I can build a date that goes back exaclty one year, but this does not give me the value of the field "MonthlyValue" on that date

@refex ,

Indeed, it doesn't. That's what DAX is for.

Smart-alec responses aside, if you REALLY want to do this in Power Query, then you would do something like this:

1) Aggregate (group) your table by relevant dimensions and date i.e. you would have only a single row for each date/dimension combination, not multiple transactions within each date.

2) Merge all row-unique dimension fields into a single field. This may be [Department], [Client], [Sale Date] etc. so you would end up with a single field that looks something like this:

Sportwear-ABC Co.-05/06/2021

3) You would then do the same again, but use your prior year date field instead.

4) Self-merge the query on itself on [Merged Field Prior Year] LEFT OUTER [Merged Field Current Year]. This should then add the prior year date row for that combination of dimensions onto the 'current' year row. This would apply to any date that had values for that dimension combination on exactly the same date in the year prior.

Hopefully you can see quite quickly that Power Query/M is not the place to be doing things like this. It really is what DAX is entirely designed for/to do.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors