Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

alexrobe
Advocate III
Advocate III

onPremise Gateway cannot connect to datasources anymore

Dear PBI-Community,

it might be a coincidence, but after changing my (due to inhouse policy) 4 of my 9 report datasets can no longer connect to the gateway. The gateway is not even shown on some of these reports...

funny thing:

aslo small reports with only 4 Excel-Files (EvvSafety) as source cannot be connected, but for big reports (KD) it works??

Infos after hours of trials:

dePBI Desktop firl connections for BIG report that works OKdePBI Desktop firl connections for BIG report that works OKnot helping error protocolnot helping error protocolno gateway for small Report EnvSafetyno gateway for small Report EnvSafetyData connections pointing to folders (Data accessed files within folders are not separately given)Data connections pointing to folders (Data accessed files within folders are not separately given)in the Big report I can see the new Gateway server "2"in the Big report I can see the new Gateway server "2"When it all started (either with adminuser Password change or...?)When it all started (either with adminuser Password change or...?)PowerBi Desktop - local rigthsPowerBi Desktop - local rigths

onPremise Gateway downloaded yesterday, installed as new and restartet

Built up all connections from scratch...

=============

• Maybe an issue, that folder connections are not inherited to the files it contains (anymore)? Is there a setting to (dis)allow this?
  • Maybe conflicting with a personal gateway a colleague has installed resolve the issue?
  • Is it correct, that you set accessability rights to "Organization" or "none" (at least for debugging)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for any hints!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-yuezhe-msft:

Thank you for your effort.

What kind of resolved the issue for me was, that I manually entered ALL the dataset connection in the gateway. (Was not necessary before - rights were inherited from the top folder...

This made all my datasets work, beside 1.

What was special, that I could read 8 of the 12 files in that folder without any problem (importing via folder-import and filterin out what I need), the other 4 files which I use the exact same M-Queries for (copy paste) could no be read...

Now I just let copy these files twice a day into another folder and everything is fine...

I voted the idea on the forum to improve gateway-connection troubleshooting...

THANKS AGAIN!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
alexrobe
Advocate III
Advocate III

If no Gateway is shown for my dataset: is there a way to show the connections it can and cannot establish, in order to find out what still has to be entered on the gateway side?

Thank you!

@alexrobe,

Do mask sensitive data when uploading screenshots.

Do you add all the four Excel data sources of EvvSafety dataset within gateway? Please make sure that the file path and account are same as that you use in Power BI Desktop.

In addition, when using your account to log in the server that running on-premises gateway, are you able to access to the for excel files via the shared folder path?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft:

I have done it now - and it indeed has resolved the problems on all reports, but 1.

Wondering, if there was anything changed in the Gateway settings by MS or our company, because it worked nicely before Nov 5th,.

Before that I only had the some 8 folder permissions for everything (was inherited for all files in the subfolders). Now I have in total around 25 additional individual file permissions...

But at least it works, THANKS!

Still:

For the 1 report, where the gateway is not showing up: Is there a way to show which data connections can/cannot be established to a gateway? Any other way to identify, which connection is missing?

Thank you!

@alexrobe,

Which report do you refer to when saying report 1? Do you mean KD report? 

If so,you would need to manually check if you add all data sources(folder and files) of this report within gateway by comparing with the data sources in Power BI Desktop. There is no other option to identify which connection is missing.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft:

Thank you for your effort.

What kind of resolved the issue for me was, that I manually entered ALL the dataset connection in the gateway. (Was not necessary before - rights were inherited from the top folder...

This made all my datasets work, beside 1.

What was special, that I could read 8 of the 12 files in that folder without any problem (importing via folder-import and filterin out what I need), the other 4 files which I use the exact same M-Queries for (copy paste) could no be read...

Now I just let copy these files twice a day into another folder and everything is fine...

I voted the idea on the forum to improve gateway-connection troubleshooting...

THANKS AGAIN!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors