Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fbernabe
Frequent Visitor

on-premise data gateway service DM_GWPipeline_UnknownError

Just installed on-premise data gateway service but I'm not able to create a new data source on powerbi web page.

Installation was ok without any error and the service is active.

00.JPG

When I try to add a new data source I got the error "DM_GWPipeline_UnknownError" "Impossibile trovare il provider dati .NET Framework richiesto"

01.JPG

Framework installato .NET 4.5.2

02.JPG

I would like to add data source to collect data from an sql database.

On-premise data gateway service and Sql Server 2012 are on the same machine.

This machine is not a Domain Controller.

Could anyone please give me some good advice on what I have to verify?

Could be useful to have log Gateway service log?

Thanks a lot in advance

4 REPLIES 4

@fbernabe Check out this Troubleshooting page. It has the location of the log files that you are looking for as well (towards the bottom of the page).

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer Thank you for your prompt reply. I found gateway log file and here is the listing where the error appear

DM.EnterpriseGateway Error: 0 : 2016-09-05T11:50:18.9096939Z DM.EnterpriseGateway 22c238a5-717e-4ca0-b202-1941e2169609 c26ae7f4-7b62-cca3-1fc0-3262f59cdcfb MGTD 4971ed04-c543-4085-8da0-2fd50293c40e F404FE45 [DM.Pipeline.Common] Non-gateway exception encountered in activity scope: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: La sezione "DbProviderFactories" può apparire una volta sola in ogni file di configurazione.
--- Fine traccia dello stack da posizione precedente dove è stata generata l'eccezione ---

I've verified also machine.config file located in .net framework 64bit directory

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config

<DbProviderFactories>
    <add name="IBM DB2 for i .NET Provider" invariant="IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries" description=".NET Framework Data Provider for IBM i" type="IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries.iDB2Factory, IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9cdb2ebfb1f93a26" />
</DbProviderFactories>

Even if I have sql 2012 installed on that machine, I haven't any reference to sql connection and for me this is strange (probably this is the reason why I got that error message).

What do you think about it?

Another step.

I've tried to add a data source to DB2 on an iSeries and all is working fine (only modification I've done was to change the default port 50000 used for this klind of connection to the drda port 446 used on our iseries).

So, the problem is related to the section dbproviderfactories where there are no connection to sql database.

May I add manually this section? I've found these directives on another version of .net framework machine.config file.

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\CONFIG

<DbProviderFactories>
   <add name="Odbc Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.Odbc" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for Odbc" type="System.Data.Odbc.OdbcFactory, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>
   <add name="OleDb Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.OleDb" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for OleDb" type="System.Data.OleDb.OleDbFactory, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>
   <add name="OracleClient Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.OracleClient" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for Oracle" type="System.Data.OracleClient.OracleClientFactory, System.Data.OracleClient, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>
   <add name="SqlClient Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.SqlClient" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for SqlServer" type="System.Data.SqlClient.SqlClientFactory, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>
</DbProviderFactories>

@fbernabe It's a challenge to try to read what the actual error is with the mixed languages... If you were able to set up the DB2, then I would assume it is just a configuration piece you are missing on the SQL side.

Make sure you have the correct permissions, that you have configured SQL to accept applications to access, etc...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors