Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

on-premise csv file > gateway service > dataset in powerbi

Hi there,

I'm just starting with PowerBI.

I have a csv file on-premise, I installed the cloud gateway service and I can see the gateway in PowerBI web interface.

I can do the connection to the file and PowerBI says its connecting successfull.

I alos know how to schedule and resfresh da dataset.

But how do I create a dataset from data that is behind a gateway? I cant find anything in the get data dialog..

My user account currently is pro-trial but will be pro soon.

Do you have any ideas on how to do this?

thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you added the CSV data source under on-premises gateway and use on-premises gateway to refresh your dataset? For more details about how to add data source under on-premises gateway, please review this similar thread.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

You can connect to the CSV file using the Get Data->Text/CSV entry in Power BI Desktop, then create reports in Power BI Desktop and publish the reports to Power BI Service following the guide in this article. This way, you are able to use gateway to refresh your dataset.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia, thanks for the advice.

When I do this with PowerBI Desktop it seems its only working with personal gateway, not with enterprise gateway. Because when I publish the report with PowerBI Desktop, in the web gui it says personal gateway is offline while my enterprise gateway is online.

Is this only working with personal gateway?

Another short question: Is it possible to store the history data in PowerBI? So my csv file will only contain history data for 1 day and will be replaced every day and in PowerBI it always appends the data and not replace it?

Thanks in advance..

- Duffkess

Hi @Anonymous,

In order to use enterprise gateway to refresh you dataset, you would need to firstly add the CSV data source under the registered gateway.

In addition, there is an idea about adding incremental load functionality in Power BI, please vote it up. Meanwhile, you can check the workaround in this blog:http://www.thebiccountant.com/2016/02/09/how-to-create-a-load-history-or-load-log-in-power-query-or-power-bi/.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia, thanks for the advice.

Now I did the following:

- Install On-premises data gateway service

- Create Report and Import Datasources (csv files)

- Publish Report and view it online (works fine)

Now when I want to do an refresh it says invalid credentials.

When I want to change the credentials in schedule refresh page it is not possible.

Status on the schedule resfresh page is:

- Use your data gatway (Power BI - personal) Gateway connection > Online, Running

- Data Source Credentials > Edit Credentials >

There is only Windows credentials and I cant change anything.

I think the Windows credentials cant work because this server is member of another AD domain and my gateway account has no access rights on the server for the csv files (only for publish the Report online in PowerBI)

Any ideas on how to solve this? Thanks in advance.

- Duffkess -

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you added the CSV data source under on-premises gateway and use on-premises gateway to refresh your dataset? For more details about how to add data source under on-premises gateway, please review this similar thread.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia,

it worked now. The trick was that the datasource in the online PowerBI needs to be exactly the same name as the ones I used in the local PowerBI with the gateway installed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors