cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fitnesspowerbi Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

new tables and columns in tabular model not reflected in power bi

When new tables are updated in a tabular model or column names are changed, these changes to the original model are not reflected on the power bi site. After resfreshing dataset no changes to the dataset are shown, the dataset must be deleted and republished from power bi desktop in order for the new tables and column names to be displayed. In power bi desktop, hitting the refresh button does not display these new elements either, the power bi desktop file must be closed and reopened in order to see these changes. Is there a better way to have changes made in the tabular model reflected in power bi?

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: new tables and columns in tabular model not reflected in power bi

This has always been tricky, even when we were just using Excel and Power Query. If you added any calculated columns, those columns wouldn't load, you had to remove the custom columns and then refresh. Also, if you changed names of fields, types, etc. you would often break refresh. It has always been sort of a problem. I tend to load more than I think I will need just for this kind of reason, just in case someone says "wouldn't it be cool if we could...".

I have book! Learn Power BI from Packt

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Topics Started Badges Coming

New Topics Started Badges Coming

We're releasing new versions of the badge that everyone's talking about. ;) Check your inbox for notifications.

MBAS 2020

Save the new date (and location)!

Our business applications community is growing—so we needed a different venue, resulting in a new date and location. See you there!

Difinity Conference

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)