Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RMV
Helper V
Helper V

network specification to get data via VPN

Hi,

anyone can share the network specification required to refresh data & query editting, if I need to connect remotely from the database via VPN? Can I refresh data when I'm connected to internet via WiFi?

Thanks,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @RMV

Firstly, as long as you install Power BI Desktop on a machine(via inside network or VPN) which is able to talk to the machine that installing database system, you are able to import data from the database into Power BI Desktop.

Secondly, about the refresh issue, make sure that the gateway has access to your data source, and please don’t install a gateway on a computer, such a laptop, that may be turned off, asleep, or not connected to the Internet because the gateway can't run under any of those circumstances.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @RMV,

The refresh in Power BI Service will still perform.

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @RMV

Firstly, as long as you install Power BI Desktop on a machine(via inside network or VPN) which is able to talk to the machine that installing database system, you are able to import data from the database into Power BI Desktop.

Secondly, about the refresh issue, make sure that the gateway has access to your data source, and please don’t install a gateway on a computer, such a laptop, that may be turned off, asleep, or not connected to the Internet because the gateway can't run under any of those circumstances.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

Thanks for your advise.

Further, if the gateway is active, buy my computer is turned off or not connected, can the refresh still be done?

Regards,

Hi @RMV

Which machine do you refer to? If you mean that the machine that installing gateway is turned off or not connected to internet, gateway will not run and refresh will fail.

If you mean your client computer without gateway is turned off, it doesn't impact the refresh.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

I'm refering to the machine where i kept the pbix file.

When i turned it off or disconnected it from the network, while the machine where the gateway is installed is still on, can the refresh still be performed?

Regards,

Hi @RMV,

The refresh in Power BI Service will still perform.

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

hi, @v-yuezhe-msft, noted! thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors