Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

move data source to onedrive for business

Hello All,

I've developed a very large data model on premises using powerbi desktop and local drives.  I then have migrated the model to powerbi.com and it's working well.  I'd like to now move the files from the queries from my onpremise data to my onedrive for business account (same business account) .  I don't see a way to edit my model queries for each data source (about 18) to change the data paths.

I feel certain this is a rookie problem.  Any help is appreciated.

Tom

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Well, generally you go into the Advanced Editor and you can edit the Source line to point to your new source. However, I do not believe that there is a connector for One Drive for Business in Desktop, only in the Service so that is going to present a problem. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

The model is there right now...presuming powerbi.com subscription is the service you refer to...created in desktop but moved up there.  I can't find the advance editor you refer to anywhere having looked under the menus, elipses, gears, and so on.  Where might it be?  Is there another level of powerbi.com I need to have?  Thanks!  Tom

The Advanced Editor is not available in the Service, only in the Desktop when you Edit Queries, go to View tab and choose Advanced Editor.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Oh, crikey--sorry, that was staring me in the face.  Thanks!  Tom

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Gosh, I want to use a onedrive url for each file, don't I?  

• or do I use the sync'd file from my ssd  
  • If use the url..I'm not sure how to morph the file path to a url muchless figure out the (sharing) privleges part.  

So I guess that's the next layer question if I don't just use the sync'd file.  

I must be missing a whole section of how-to's here, so steer me that way if I'm going over obvious things here.  Do I need a "gateway" or some such thing?

Thanks,

Tom

@ThomasDay Yes you need to change the url in all queries to point to onedrive files. 

I had written a post regarding url paths

https://medium.com/@Konstantinos_Ioannou/onedrive-powerbi-desktop-use-valid-paths-to-import-data-sto...

but also if you search the community there are at least 2 great posts for the subject

Konstantinos Ioannou

Thank you, this looks great.  (Turns out there are lots of OneDrive issues when I searched.  Sure didn't see this but I will say I've read a bunch of your posts in the past month by clicking on your profile.  Ironically, searching well requires domain knowledge that rookies often don't have...so the searches are clumsy.  I suppose I could have searched on people who provide the many and varied solid answers to find it.)  Anyway, thank you again.  Tom

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors