Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adavid999
Helper V
Helper V

lookup table...but how?

Hello,

I am working in Excel/Power Query struggling to come up with the correct way to establish relationship between tables to allow a difference calculation.

Table 1 and 2 in power query are something like this:

T1T1T2T2

"Region" occurs multiple times in both tables but "Town" only occurs in T1 (but multiple times). One Region might link to a number of different Towns

I have a "Question" lookup table which I use for my pivot table output and I can calculate the respective average scores for Town and Region but I am not sure how to join these two tables to allow an aggregated output pivot table as below:

ResultResult

So in T3, Town A would be related to Region A1 and Town B is related to Region B1. Copying T1 and removing duplicates of Town to create a lookip doesn't work because multiple instances of Region can apply to different Towns. Ie. Town A could be A1, but Town C (not shown) could also be A1.

If it makes sense, the only way I could see a link working is that if T2 was aggregated first, so there is only one row for each Region (a Region average) but I am not sure how to do this, i.e. how can I acheive this with a measure that I can drop into result pivot table that will give me Region average alongside Town average. I hope this makes sense, please let me know if it doesn't!

Many thanks,

A

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the trust 🙂.
I try to explain better, but I don't know what is not clear to you and what you want to modify.

image.png

T1 is the name of query that contains the table T1.

T2 is the name of the query which make the job:

image.png

First step the data of atble T2.

then merge T2 with T1

image.png

expanding ...

image.png

and finally ... averaging

image.png

View solution in original post

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @adavid999 ,

The workaround @Anonymous  provided is great.

And you can also try to use DAX to create a calculated table.

Table =
VAR t =
    FILTER (
        CROSSJOIN (
            SELECTCOLUMNS (
                Table1,
                "No1", [Q no.],
                "Region1", [Region],
                "Town", [Town],
                "Town Score Avg", DIVIDE (
                    CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table1[Town Score] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Town] ) ),
                    CALCULATE ( COUNT ( Table1[Town] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Town] ) )
                )
            ),
            SELECTCOLUMNS (
                Table2,
                "No2", [Q no.],
                "Region2", [Region],
                "Region Score Avg", DIVIDE (
                    CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Region Score] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table2, Table2[Region] ) ),
                    CALCULATE ( COUNT ( Table2[Region] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table2, Table2[Region] ) )
                )
            )
        ),
        [No1] = [No2]
            && [Region1] = [Region2]
    )
RETURN
    SUMMARIZE ( t, [No1], [Town], [Town Score Avg], [Region Score Avg] )

dax.PNG

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @adavid999 ,

The workaround @Anonymous  provided is great.

And you can also try to use DAX to create a calculated table.

Table =
VAR t =
    FILTER (
        CROSSJOIN (
            SELECTCOLUMNS (
                Table1,
                "No1", [Q no.],
                "Region1", [Region],
                "Town", [Town],
                "Town Score Avg", DIVIDE (
                    CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table1[Town Score] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Town] ) ),
                    CALCULATE ( COUNT ( Table1[Town] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Town] ) )
                )
            ),
            SELECTCOLUMNS (
                Table2,
                "No2", [Q no.],
                "Region2", [Region],
                "Region Score Avg", DIVIDE (
                    CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table2[Region Score] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table2, Table2[Region] ) ),
                    CALCULATE ( COUNT ( Table2[Region] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table2, Table2[Region] ) )
                )
            )
        ),
        [No1] = [No2]
            && [Region1] = [Region2]
    )
RETURN
    SUMMARIZE ( t, [No1], [Town], [Town Score Avg], [Region Score Avg] )

dax.PNG

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

try this

T2

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUUoEYRDDSClWJxpI6iglgTBIyBgshKLKGFOViVJsLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Q = _t, T = _t, R = _t, Ts = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Q", Int64.Type}, {"T", type text}, {"R", type text}, {"Ts", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"R"}, T1, {"R"}, "T2", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded T2" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "T2", {"Rs"}, {"Rs"}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Expanded T2", {"Q","T"}, {{"avg Ts", each List.Average([Ts]), type number}, {"avg Rs", each List.Average([Rs]), type number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

T1

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUUoEESZKsTrRSkZAVhKIawrmwmXNUGXNlWJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Q = _t, R = _t, Rs = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Q", Int64.Type}, {"R", type text}, {"Rs", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Thanks @Anonymous I am sure this would solve it but I wouldn't know where to start adapting this to work on my tables - it looks too complex!

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the trust 🙂.
I try to explain better, but I don't know what is not clear to you and what you want to modify.

image.png

T1 is the name of query that contains the table T1.

T2 is the name of the query which make the job:

image.png

First step the data of atble T2.

then merge T2 with T1

image.png

expanding ...

image.png

and finally ... averaging

image.png

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@adavid999 - So it seems like you should have a Town dimension, Region dimension and Question dimension. If you had that and related them to your 2 fact tables, then you should be able to aggregate things fairly easily within a single visual I would think.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors