Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rhayward2209
Helper I
Helper I

key didnt match any rows in the table all.

Hi all,

I have inherited a Power BI dashboard that pulls data from multiple excel files in a sharepoint folder to get its data. When I add new excel files to this sharepoint folder I get the "key didnt match any rows in the table " error message during refresh.

I have attempted a lot of the common issues (Ensure column names are identical, removing navigation step, etc) but am having no luck.

What is also strange is that I can copy the new data from my spreadsheet and paste it over the top of some old data in an old file and it runs smoothly, leading me to believe it may be an issue with the excel document rather than the data itself.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @rhayward2209 

this error is normaly caused when accessing a sheet of your file. Please ensure that sheets are called the same. You can also post the M-code here then I can anaylse it for you

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @rhayward2209 

this error is normaly caused when accessing a sheet of your file. Please ensure that sheets are called the same. You can also post the M-code here then I can anaylse it for you

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Turned out to be a spelling mistake in the ARIBA report title the past user was running, so it was giving a slightly different sheet title that I completely overlooked! Thanks for makingme go back and double check.

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @rhayward2209 

The first thing I'd check is the column names in the new files but you said you've done that.

Can you please share the query/PBIX file that loads data from the Excel workbooks, and a workbook that causes the error.

Regards

Phil

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.
If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks for the reply, Yep I have checked the columns and even copied my new workbooks column names into an old workbook and it still refreshes fine. So the issue seems to be with the file itself.

I know its going to make it more difficult to decipher what is causing the issue but i cant upload the file/workbook due to sensitive data unfortunately.

HI @rhayward2209 

So the new files definitely don't have an extra leading or trailing space in the column names? I've seen that cause this issue before.

You said you've copied the column names from the new file(s) to an old file - this was with a file that was causing issues I presume?

What are the file types, xlsx or xls?  Sometimes xls can have issues importing data.

Phil

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.
If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors