Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Joel_Clark
Advocate I
Advocate I

inconsistent reading of date format UK<>US

I am reading in data from an online spreadsheet in SharePoint and Power Query is inconsistently reading the date formats. I've double checked the source file and can see no reason for it as the values look consistently correct. 

On the left is the Power Query view, data type is date and UK formats hold until 31st of January at which point is seems to switch to US format and shows the second of March instead of 3rd Feb. You can see the source data in the other image which i've checked as clean. The real problem for me is the inconsistency. If it was one way or the other i could handle it.

Any ideas, hint, tips or support are gratefully received!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @Joel_Clark 

There seems to be something utterly wrong in your database because I'm not able to undestand what dataformat you have in Excel

image.png

the first lines are indicating 16th Jannuary - meaning MM/DD/YYYY. But this logic can not be applied to the other lines. I suppose this dates are mainainted as text in your Excel. 

SO just change the date format in Excel and you should be fine

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Joel_Clark
Advocate I
Advocate I

Seems it didn't post the images first time round

Power Query Desktop.PNGExcel Source.PNG

Hello @Joel_Clark 

There seems to be something utterly wrong in your database because I'm not able to undestand what dataformat you have in Excel

image.png

the first lines are indicating 16th Jannuary - meaning MM/DD/YYYY. But this logic can not be applied to the other lines. I suppose this dates are mainainted as text in your Excel. 

SO just change the date format in Excel and you should be fine

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors