Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

erikcappendijk

import excel to power BI

I have a large excel database, with plain rows and colums. Columns are with headings. not all rows are filled.

when I import the excel file, I receive the following message:

the following excel workbook does not contain any queries or model to import (then the file location is mentioned)

I also tried to solve this by format the data as a table but the same error occured.

Does anyone know what im doing wrong?

thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
jeremygore

Hello

You can also try ZetExcel

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

Importing is for bringing an existing Power Pivot data model from Excel into Power BI. If you are only trying to bring in standard sheets and tables from an Excel workbook, you should use the query builder to connect to the file.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

If you've already setup the Data Model in Excel you can Import it

File => Import => Excel Workbook Contents

This will actually bring in your Data Model AND your PowerView Sheets if any

However some visuals will not display as they are not supported - just for example a Pie Chart with Vertical Multiples

(I wish they would add support for this soon) or a Map with satellite background which I created an Idea for here over a year ago

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9583053-aerial-satellite-photo-ma...

Anyway if you are just starting to build your Data Model and Excel is just a data source

PBI Home tab => click Get Data => select Excel => choose your file

erikcappendijk

I have a large database with data that I want to import into Excel. it are only columns and rows, headers included.

when I import I receive the message:

The following Excel workbook does not contain any Queries or Model to import: (then file location is mentioned)

probably a very stupid question, but what am I doing wrong? 

Duplicate thread

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors