Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sam
Regular Visitor

how to export data to excel from Power BI Published Report

Hello,

I apologise in advance as I am very new to PowerBI, so I may not be making sense but I will do my best.

We were given a report through email, it shows up as a web link. When we click on it, it opens in a regular web browser window (not in the PowerBI webapp). I think this means it's a published report. We would like to export info this to excel, but I don't see the 'eclipse' where the export option is as it's not opening in PowerBI. The establishment that sent us the report says it will export to Excel, but they won't tell me how, they want to charge is $160/hr for 4 hours for some training. This seems ridiculous, we are not going to pay that rate. Is there a way to take the link sent and open it in PowerBI webapp or Desktop? We have a Pro account. I tried using the get data from web feature in the Desktop version and it did not display properly, we could only see a few of the column titles but no data. I read on user forums that it is not possible to export published reports to Excel, but they are very insistent that it will work. How can I confirm that this is actually a published report? I get the feeling these guys are out to lunch and would like to confirm. Please let me know if I need clarify things, I know this is pretty scattered. 

Thanks,

Sam

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If this was published via "Publish to Web" then I believe that functionality does not exist.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sam

The only way to export data to excel is from within the PBI Service.

If the report is published to the web, it won't work.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
joseco
Regular Visitor

2019 and still waiting for this answer, anyone knows if is possible by now?

Sam
Regular Visitor

Thanks guys,

I just had a reply from the report creator and apparently they had sent me the wrong link!

Once I opened the correct link I was asked to sign into our PowerBI Pro account and the report opened in PowerBI webapp which has the eclipse.

Now it's saying that the information is gone and to contact the creator, but that's a new issue and I am currently dealing with it.

Thank you all for your replies!

Good thing I didn't take them up on the overinflated training fees!

Sam

Hi @Sam,

You would need to ask the report author that if the report works well on his side and if he has shared the dashboard to you. 

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sam

The only way to export data to excel is from within the PBI Service.

If the report is published to the web, it won't work.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If this was published via "Publish to Web" then I believe that functionality does not exist.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors