Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to connect to onedrive datasource shared by external users

hi,

I have no issue with connecting to online sharepoint files.

Someone from external share with me an excel file.

I can open it ok using browser, however, it will Request Verification code each time to send to my email.

Now im trying to use Power BI to connect to the same file using the web method, it ask me to log in using the same email i have through Organisation credentials. I got this error.

Sign in 

Sorry, but we’re having trouble signing you in.

AADSTS90072: User account 'usernaem@myemail.com' from identity provider 'https://sts.windows.net/2899ab60-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/' does not exist in tenant 'External' and cannot access the application '00000003-0000-0ff1-ce00-000000000000'(Office 365 SharePoint Online) in that tenant. The account needs to be added as an external user in the tenant first. Sign out and sign in again with a different Azure Active Directory user account 

Has anyone got a solution please?
I want to schedule refresh from the shared source file rather than download it manually each time.

Thank you.

Regards,

ChimDen.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 
1. You may download the excel file or upload to your sharepoint, then connect power bi with the file locally or from your sharepoint site. 

2. Ask the external user add your account to his/her sharepoint and assign you with appropriate role and permission that allows you to use connect to the files in his/her sharepoint site. 

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 
1. You may download the excel file or upload to your sharepoint, then connect power bi with the file locally or from your sharepoint site. 

2. Ask the external user add your account to his/her sharepoint and assign you with appropriate role and permission that allows you to use connect to the files in his/her sharepoint site. 

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors