Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Seer_Bug
Helper I
Helper I

how to Pick a 2 random transaction per user from a list of 5000+ transactions using power Query

I have a raw data with 5000+ transactions that has transaction ID, username, date etc. From this i want to extract /pick 2 random transaction for every username in a new table - pls suggest how to achieve this using power query

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Seer_Bug 

This solution should work for you with better performance, I have reduced the steps as well (No buffering or sorting). I have given the explanation as comments with the code. Past the code and check, please.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("dZLLCQMxDER78XkDkvyvxewxDSSk/0TgwFPIgmEOD3lGg9ZKmo70et4frqK3zzNJ57GSbeAqBpA3cJUMUDZwlQJQN3CVCtA2cJUG0GnOiUFzTkzu0QFU+NcgUX42SQyrKJfXfLWLFvowmlaSkK0xQcjWWWbINpBAw8y8qtO+HfTfBKb04W8WDoAJjBcQ2rHQAduxSp+QLRxByNb/Zjvf", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"transaction ID" = _t, username = _t, date = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"date", type date}},"en-gb"),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    //Added an Index Column before Generating random numbers, becasue, without the Index, same value is generated.
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Custom", each Number.Random()),
    // Random number generated 
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Added Custom", {"username"}, {{"Count", each _, type table [transaction ID=nullable text, username=nullable text, date=nullable date, Index=number, Custom=number]}}),
    //Grouped by Username adding a table type column with all the rows per username
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Random 2 IDs", each Table.MaxN([Count], each [Custom], 2)[transaction ID]),
    // Adding a column that returns two IDs filtered by the top 2 random numbers. Since Random numbers are independant, MaxN works well here.
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom1",{"Count"}),
    #"Expanded Random 2 IDs" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Random 2 IDs")
in
    #"Expanded Random 2 IDs"

To test if you are really getting the random 2, click on the Refresh button and see the IDs changing.

Screenshot 2020-10-09 140846.png

@Smauro 
Thanks a lot for your feedback and advice, this platform is so helpful when contributors like you share their thoughts.
Thanks again 🙂

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Step 1: Get your data to Power Query

Simple. Grab the data you want to sample and bring it to PQ. At this point, you will get something like this:

Step 2: Add Random Numbers as a column

Go to “Add Column” > Custom Column and add this formula.

=Number.Random()

Remember: Power Query formulas are case-sensitive. So type exactly. Name this column “Random”

But Power Query gives same random number in all rows …

That is right. As Power Query is a parallel language, each row gets same random number (unlike Excel’s RAND() filled down a column).

Note: your experience with Number.Random() could be different, but as you build transformations, at some point PQ will replace all numbers with same value.

So how to get different numbers per row? Simple, we force PQ to evaluate something per row. A simple thing like index number column will do. This will force PQ to run random formula for all rows.

Hat tip to Gil Raviv for suggesting this technique in a forum post.     

Step 3: Add Index Number column & Sort the random numbers

Go to “Add column” > Index number. Now that we have index numbers in a column, this will force PQ to regenerate the random number per row.

Select the random number column and sort it.

Note: You may need to switch Steps 2 & 3 if the random numbers are same all the way thru.

Step 4: Keep top 100 rows

Go to Home > Keep Rows > Keep Top Rows. Enter the sample size you want (100) and Click OK. Your sample is ready.

Step 5: Remove the Random & Index columns

Now that our sample is ready, let’s remove the random & index number columns. We do not need them in the final output (or model). Click on Save & Load (or Close & Apply).

Enjoy the sample.

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Seer_Bug 

check out this easy code. It takes only Table.Group and within the function 2 random rows are picked.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("dZJNCkIxDAbv0vUTkvT/LI+39AKK99dAlYlQKHyLIekk5DyTpiO9nveHp+jt80zSdZzJFvAUA8gLeEoGKAt4SgGoC3hKBWgLeEoD6PycFYOfs2Jyjg6gwl6DRNlskhhGUQ6veTeLlt0wWmkQ3BoNglvnMoPbgIGGmrkzsO8O+r+BKWvYzcIB0MB4AWE7Fk6A27FwA8EtHEFw67T+uV1v", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"transaction ID" = _t, username = _t, date = _t]),
    ChangeType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"date", type date}},"en-gb"),
    GroupAndPick2Random = Table.Group(ChangeType, {"username"}, {{"AllRows", each Table.RemoveColumns( Table.FirstN(Table.Sort(Table.Buffer(Table.AddColumn(_, "Random", each Number.Random())), {{"Random", Order.Ascending}}),2),{"username", "Random"}), type table [transaction ID=text, username=text, date=date]}}),
    Expand = Table.ExpandTableColumn(GroupAndPick2Random, "AllRows", {"transaction ID", "date"}, {"transaction ID", "date"})

in
   Expand

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Smauro
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Seer_Bug ,

Here's another solution based on @Fowmy's table:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("dZJBCoQwDEXv0rUDSaxWzyIuvYA6958JdOD9AaHwF4+kLyHbVrwM5X0dZ6b56/vCyj5sJTrItAAYO8i0EaB2kGkVYOog0yaAuYNMmwEaP2fFws9ZsXKOBuDGXguJs9lKEhjFObyPT7N4fRrGJxqI20wDcWtcprgtMHCpWZ8M4reD9m8Qzhp2CzkAGgQvQLYTcgLcTsgNiJscgbg1Wotb7uA+rlvA/gE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"transaction ID" = _t, username = _t, date = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"date", type date}},"en-gb"),

ListPickRandomN = (l as list, n as number) as list =>
        let
            RandomN = (n as number, count as number) as list =>
                let
                    getList = List.Transform( List.Random(n) , each Number.Mod(Int64.From(_ * List.Max( {100000, 100*count }) ), count) ),
                    bufferTheList = List.Buffer(getList),
                    final = if List.IsDistinct(bufferTheList) then bufferTheList else @RandomN(n, count)
                in
                    final,
            countItems = List.Count(l),
            returnList = if countItems <= n then l else List.Distinct( List.Transform( RandomN( n, countItems ), (item) => l{item}) )
        in
            returnList,

#"Select Transactions per User" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"username"}, {{"Selected Transactions", each ListPickRandomN([transaction ID], 2), type {text}} }),
    #"Expanded Selected Transactions" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Select Transactions per User", "Selected Transactions")
in
    #"Expanded Selected Transactions"

It should run fast enough.

As a new table:

let 
    ListPickRandomN = (l as list, n as number) as list =>
        let
            RandomN = (n as number, count as number) as list =>
                let
                    getList = List.Transform( List.Random(n) , each Number.Mod(Int64.From(_ * List.Max( {100000, 100*count }) ), count) ),
                    bufferTheList = List.Buffer(getList),
                    final = if List.IsDistinct(bufferTheList) then bufferTheList else @RandomN(n, count)
                in
                    final,
            countItems = List.Count(l),
            returnList = if countItems <= n then l else List.Distinct( List.Transform( RandomN( n, countItems ), (item) => l{item}) )
        in
            returnList,

#"Select Transactions per User" = Table.Group(#"Your table name", {"username"}, {{"Selected Transactions", each ListPickRandomN([transaction ID], 2), type {text}} }),
    #"Expanded Selected Transactions" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Select Transactions per User", "Selected Transactions")
in
    #"Expanded Selected Transactions"

where you should replace #"Your table name" with your table name, username with your user name column and [transaction ID] with your transaction ID column.

Feel free to connect with me:
LinkedIn

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Seer_Bug 

Try the following code by pasting it in a blank query in the advanced editor. You can follow the steps to modify your source.

Let me know how it works for 5000 rows.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("dZJNCkIxDAbv0vUTkvT/LI+39AKK99dAlYlQKHyLIekk5DyTpiO9nveHp+jt80zSdZzJFvAUA8gLeEoGKAt4SgGoC3hKBWgLeEoD6PycFYOfs2Jyjg6gwl6DRNlskhhGUQ6veTeLlt0wWmkQ3BoNglvnMoPbgIGGmrkzsO8O+r+BKWvYzcIB0MB4AWE7Fk6A27FwA8EtHEFw67T+uV1v", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"transaction ID" = _t, username = _t, date = _t]),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Custom", each Number.Random() * 1),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Added Custom", {"username"}, {{"Count", each _, type table   [transaction ID=nullable text, username=nullable text, date=nullable date, Custom=number]}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Custom", each List.FirstN([Count][Custom],2)),
    #"Expanded Count" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Count", {"transaction ID", "username", "date", "Index", "Custom"}, {"transaction ID", "username.1", "date", "Index", "Custom.1"}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Count", "Custom"),
    #"Inserted Subtraction" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Custom", "Subtraction", each [Custom.1] - [Custom], type number),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Inserted Subtraction", each [Subtraction] = 0),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"username.1", "date", "Index", "Custom.1", "Custom", "Subtraction"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

YouTube  LinkedIn

its working thanks a ton 🙂

first i copy pasted the code, later tried to do the steps on my own, it worked.

I am a newbie to power query - would it be possible to explain the background logic  ( like what does custom1 and custom do, why do we subtract them etc)

Thanks in advance

❤️

@Seer_Bug 

Please use the code below, I identified some issues in the code submitted earlier.

let
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Custom", each Number.Random()  * [Index] ),
    Custom1 = Table.Buffer(#"Added Custom"),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Custom1, {"username"}, {{"Count", each _, type table [transaction ID=nullable text, username=nullable text, date=nullable date, Index=number, Custom=number]}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Custom", each List.MaxN([Count][Custom],2)),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Custom"),
    #"Expanded Count" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Expanded Custom", "Count", {"transaction ID", "username", "date", "Index", "Custom"}, {"transaction ID", "username.1", "date", "Index", "Custom.1"}),
    #"Inserted Subtraction" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Count", "Subtraction", each [Custom.1] - [Custom], type number),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Inserted Subtraction", each [Subtraction] = 0),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"username", "transaction ID"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"

YouTube  LinkedIn

@Fowmy 

You should try not to buffer a whole table just to tell the engine to actually calculate some random numbers. This can decrease substantially the performance of a query, especially in large tables if we start paginating data in the mashup engine.

Take a look at what I wrote, it only buffers a list of n elements to achieve the same result, which is simply to keep n distinct random numbers in memory.

Adding an index is also not the way to go there, since it actually diminishes the randomness: the lower in the table a value is the higher the chance it will be picked by List.MaxN

Feel free to connect with me:
LinkedIn

Thanks @Fowmy  🙂  this worked too.  Help me learn what difference does it create when we use list.MaxN instead of list.FirstN , and why do we use table.buffer

@Seer_Bug 

This solution should work for you with better performance, I have reduced the steps as well (No buffering or sorting). I have given the explanation as comments with the code. Past the code and check, please.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("dZLLCQMxDER78XkDkvyvxewxDSSk/0TgwFPIgmEOD3lGg9ZKmo70et4frqK3zzNJ57GSbeAqBpA3cJUMUDZwlQJQN3CVCtA2cJUG0GnOiUFzTkzu0QFU+NcgUX42SQyrKJfXfLWLFvowmlaSkK0xQcjWWWbINpBAw8y8qtO+HfTfBKb04W8WDoAJjBcQ2rHQAduxSp+QLRxByNb/Zjvf", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"transaction ID" = _t, username = _t, date = _t]),
    //Added an Index Column before Generating random numbers, becasue, without the Index, same value is generated.
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Custom", each Number.Random()),
    // Random number generated 
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Added Custom", {"username"}, {{"Count", each _, type table [transaction ID=nullable text, username=nullable text, date=nullable date, Index=number, Custom=number]}}),
    //Grouped by Username adding a table type column with all the rows per username
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Random 2 IDs", each Table.MaxN([Count], each [Custom], 2)[transaction ID]),
    // Adding a column that returns two IDs filtered by the top 2 random numbers. Since Random numbers are independant, MaxN works well here.
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom1",{"Count"}),
    #"Expanded Random 2 IDs" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Random 2 IDs")
in
    #"Expanded Random 2 IDs"

To test if you are really getting the random 2, click on the Refresh button and see the IDs changing.

Screenshot 2020-10-09 140846.png

@Smauro 
Thanks a lot for your feedback and advice, this platform is so helpful when contributors like you share their thoughts.
Thanks again 🙂

YouTube  LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors