Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bsnow

how do I connect to SQL Server from Power BI desktop?

How to I connect to SQL Server? I have just downloaded the newest version of Power BI desktop (7/24) and when I Get Data from SQL server, it prompts me for a database name and optional database and optional SQL query and I get an error no matter what I put in there (all legitimate objects!). Not to mention there is no utility that connects to the server and then lists all DB's and then all tables and views LIKE EVERY OTHER BI tool for the last 10 years, not to mention previous versions of Power BI.... this is very curious. It MUST be possible to connect to SQL server but I am doing something wrong. No instructions no tutorial it is assumed SQL server would be trivial compared to all the new data sources types. I would assume that too having used dozens of other BI tools over the year. Doing a side by side comparison of Qlik, Tableau and Power BI this week and had Qlik and Tableau dashboards done in 10 minutes. With the new Power BI, I cannot even get my data yet.... Can anyone out there help or is this just too new??? Seems to be a dud right out of the box at GA if you cannot even get SQL server data.

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Esres
Helper I
Helper I

I connect to SQL Server just fine. We aren't connected to a domain.

cdotzenrod
Advocate I
Advocate I

Get Data>Choose SQL Server>User current credentials or enter sql credentials>Then choose from the list of databases that popup.

You don't have to write sql or enter a database upfront. Those are just options you can use if you know what you want to connect to right away.  Otherwise, you can use the visual editor to pick tables.  From there you can optionally choose the edit button to remove fields or add custom calulated fields.   

Hi there,

When you are using Power BI Desktop on a machine that is not on the same domain as the server, this does not seem to work.,

Is there a work around for this?

Thanks,

Ric

I would try one to the following:

1)  Try a runas command like this:  RUNAS /user:domain\userid /netonly "C:\Program Files\...[POWERBI EXECUTEBLE] 

Use the domain and user you want to connect with and enter the password when prompted

2)  Create a saved windows credential for the SSAS server you want to connect to

3) Go to the security of your SSAS severver and give read access to the other domain user you use with your desktop domain.  I've don't that with our test domain here and it works fine as long as your sysadmin is fine with it.  

Let me know if those ideas work.  

Chad

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors