Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

gateway

When should I be using a gateway? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

For just Power BI:  Whenever you have published a project into the Power BI Server and wish to refresh that data using the Service itself.  If you make refreshes using the Power BI desktop, your desktop machine will do the job that the gateway would perform.

The best way to think about at gateway is a computer that sits inside your network that provides a 'gateway' for Microsoft's Office 365 environment to have secure access to the places on the network you allow it.  As long as the gateway has internal access, any access you grant on the service through management gateways will work.

There are other office 365 programs that can make use of the gateway too.  An example is having a Microsoft Flow extract attachments from your email and save them on a shared network drive.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

For just Power BI:  Whenever you have published a project into the Power BI Server and wish to refresh that data using the Service itself.  If you make refreshes using the Power BI desktop, your desktop machine will do the job that the gateway would perform.

The best way to think about at gateway is a computer that sits inside your network that provides a 'gateway' for Microsoft's Office 365 environment to have secure access to the places on the network you allow it.  As long as the gateway has internal access, any access you grant on the service through management gateways will work.

There are other office 365 programs that can make use of the gateway too.  An example is having a Microsoft Flow extract attachments from your email and save them on a shared network drive.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to set things up so my users can open sharepoint to view live power bi dashboards created from data in an Azure database.  Error messages and this Q&A thread suggest I need to setup an "on premise" data gateway.  

Why are we calling a data gateway from my cloud based Azure database "on premise" ?  This is either the wrong solution for me, or a horribly mis-named tool.  

Anyone know which? 

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors