cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renzhaj Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

fail to install on-premise data gateway

Hi All,

I have installed on-premise data gateway in my laptop and it's working geate. Then, I am trying to install it on one of my windows server. I got the following error in the log file.  I guess it's sort of related to authorization. anyone has idea? Thanks

Calling custom action Microsoft.DataTransfer.EgwInstallUtils!Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.StartServiceToCreateUser

Exception thrown by custom action:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ServiceProcess.TimeoutException: Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed.

at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.WaitForStatus(ServiceControllerStatus desiredStatus, TimeSpan timeout)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartServiceImpl(String serviceDisplayName, TimeSpan timeout)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.StartServiceToCreateUser(Session session)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object parameters, Object arguments)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture)

at Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.CustomActionProxy.InvokeCustomAction(Int32 sessionHandle, String entryPoint, IntPtr remotingDelegatePtr)

CustomAction StartServiceToCreateUser returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Action ended 16:08:39: StartServiceToCreateUser. Return value 3.

Action ended 16:08:39: INSTALL. Return value 3.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

Re: fail to install on-premise data gateway

@renzhaj Server installs usually force you to deal with the IT infrastructure whereas your machine is pretty easy. Have you followed the install guide? https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/

Also the troubleshooting and in-depth articles solve the vast majority of issues you'll encounter.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem-tshoot/

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem-indepth/

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
renzhaj Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@Seth_C_Bauer   Thank you for the reply. I have reviewed the guide and posts but still can't solve it.

I noticed a related applciation error in Server Event Viewer. 

It's .NET Runtime error. I confirmed 4.5 version had been installed but it seem 4.0 version is being used.   Any ideas?

Application: GatewayInstall.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The application requested process termination through System.Environment.FailFast(string message).
Stack:
at System.Environment.FailFast(System.String)
at MS.Internal.Invariant.FailFast(System.String, System.String)
at System.IO.Packaging.Package.AddIfNoPrefixCollisionDetected(ValidatedPartUri, System.IO.Packaging.PackagePart)
at System.IO.Packaging.Package.GetPartHelper(System.Uri)
at System.IO.Packaging.Package.GetPart(System.Uri)
at System.IO.Packaging.PackWebResponse+CachedResponse.GetResponseStream()
at System.IO.Packaging.PackWebResponse.GetResponseStream()
at System.IO.Packaging.PackWebResponse.get_ContentType()
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.SetupDecoderFromUriOrStream(System.Uri, System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCacheOption, System.Guid ByRef, Boolean ByRef, System.IO.Stream ByRef, System.IO.UnmanagedMemoryStream ByRef, Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle ByRef)
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.CreateFromUriOrStream(System.Uri, System.Uri, System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCreateOptions, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCacheOption, System.Net.Cache.RequestCachePolicy, Boolean)
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage.FinalizeCreation()
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage.EndInit()
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage..ctor(System.Uri, System.Net.Cache.RequestCachePolicy)
at Microsoft.DataProxy.EgwInstallBA.PrecheckViewModel..ctor(Microsoft.DataProxy.EgwInstallBA.MainViewModel, Microsoft.DataProxy.EgwInstallBA.WizardViewModelBase)
at Microsoft.DataProxy.EgwInstallBA.MainViewModel.DetectComplete(System.Object, Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Bootstrapper.DetectCompleteEventArgs)
at Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Bootstrapper.BootstrapperApplication.OnDetectComplete(Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Bootstrapper.DetectCompleteEventArgs)
at Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Bootstrapper.BootstrapperApplication.Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Bootstrapper.IBootstrapperApplication.OnDetectComplete(Int32)

Highlighted
jcbowyer Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hello, we are having an identical error message.  Our machines are heavily configure by IT for security.  I believe this error is probably related to a security configuration but I am not clear the exact configuration that we need to request to change to allow authorization.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Join us in the third Triple A event!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

It’s the start of a new Super User season! Learn all about the new Super Users and brand-new tiered recognition system.

January 2020 Community Highlights

January 2020 Community Highlights

Make sure you didn't miss any of the things that happened in the community in January!

Difinity Conference

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors