Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sdulaney

excel file with date tabs

I am new to Power BI and I want to create a dashboard to show an excel spreadsheet tracker on a TV that is already setup in excel with the correct forumlas and data sorted how they want it viewed.

The file is stored in OneDrive for Business and I just selected the content I wanted viewed and pinned it to the dashboard. That works great and I have it set to refresh the webpage to keep the data up to date and it is working great.

I just pinned the data from the existing excel file instead of creating a dataset since the layout in the excel file is how they want it displayed and importing as a datase sorts it alphabetically instead of how they want it viewed.

The problem I have is that the spreadsheet is setup with each month in a different tab in excel. So each month I have to manually go into the excel and select the tab for the current month and pin it to the dashboard and remove the old one. Is there any way for this to be automated to select a tab based on the current month instead of having to do this manually each month?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I solved the problem by creating a new tab with dropdown for each month tab that pulls the data from the monthly tabs. Then in powerbi, just display the new tab and each month all that is needed is to select the current month from the dropdown in the spreadsheet and it will automatically update to the new month numbers.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@sdulaney,

I can't think of any methods can be used in Power BI to automated the process that select a tab  based on the current month.

A workaround is to generate new Excel file with same name each month and replace the existing file in OneDrive for business.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I solved the problem by creating a new tab with dropdown for each month tab that pulls the data from the monthly tabs. Then in powerbi, just display the new tab and each month all that is needed is to select the current month from the dropdown in the spreadsheet and it will automatically update to the new month numbers.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors