Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ebrodie
Frequent Visitor

date filtering usint 2 dates in the table

I am new to PowerBI and loving it so far

I have a simple task list with start and close dates – at least it seems simple.  I would usually use multiple OR conditions in an MS Access query

I want to filter the records to show all tasks that are open within a date range

if I want to see tasks between 9/1/22 and 9/30/22, I want to see all tasks where:

• Opened anytime and closed within the date range
  • Opened before 9/30/22 and still open
  • Opened before 9/30/22 and closed after 9/30/22
Task start dateclose dateDISPLAY
17/1/229/15/22YES
28/1/22 YES
38/1/2210/15/22YES
48/1/228/25/22NO
510/15/22 NO

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jbwtp
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

This returns a table which you can feed to measure, something like:

Measure = SUMX(Filter('ve2doTaskALL', ([ClosedDate] > Date(2022,9,1) && [closeddate] < Date(2022,9,30)) || ([startdate] < Date(2022,9,30) && (ISBLANK([closeddate]) || [ClosedDate] > Date(2022,9,30)))), [Revenue])

Cheers,

John

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jbwtp
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @ebrodie,

In Power Query you can use OR/AND in PBI in the same fashion as you would do in MS Access:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUTLXN9Q3MgIyLPUNTSGsSNdgpVidaCUQ2wImrYAkYYwsYWiAodEEWd5C3wgq7ecPljVF1aQAlYkFAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Task " = _t, #"start date" = _t, #"close date" = _t, DISPLAY = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Task ", Int64.Type}, {"start date", type text}, {"close date", type text}, {"DISPLAY", type text}}),
    Main = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"start date", each Date.From(DateTimeZone.From(_, "en-US")), type date}, {"close date", each Date.From(DateTimeZone.From(_, "en-US")), type date}}),
    OpenedBeforeClosedAfter = Table.SelectRows(Main, each [start date] < #date(2022, 9, 30) and [close date] > #date(2022, 9, 30)),
    OpenedBeforeNotClosed = Table.SelectRows(Main, each [start date] < #date(2022, 9, 30) and [close date] = null),
    ClosedWithinRage = Table.SelectRows(Main, each [close date] >= #date(2022, 9, 1) and [close date] <= #date(2022, 9, 30)),
    CombinedAndOptimised = Table.SelectRows(Main, each ([start date] >= #date(2022, 9, 1) and [close date] <= #date(2022, 9, 30)) or ([start date] < #date(2022, 9, 30) and ([close date] = null or [close date] > #date(2022, 9, 30))))
in
    CombinedAndOptimised

In DAX you replace it with II (for OR) and && (for AND):

Filter('Table', ([close date] > Date(2022,9,1) && [close date] < Date(2022,9,30)) || ([start date] < Date(2022,9,30) && (ISBLANK([close date])  || [close date] > Date(2022,9,30))))

Cheers,
John

ebrodie
Frequent Visitor

i think i'm more of a rookie than i thought...

do i add this as a measure?

Measure = Filter('ve2doTaskALL', ([ClosedDate] > Date(2022,9,1) && [closeddate] < Date(2022,9,30)) || ([startdate] < Date(2022,9,30) && (ISBLANK([closeddate]) || [ClosedDate] > Date(2022,9,30))))

i get the error "The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value"

thanks in advance
jbwtp
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

This returns a table which you can feed to measure, something like:

Measure = SUMX(Filter('ve2doTaskALL', ([ClosedDate] > Date(2022,9,1) && [closeddate] < Date(2022,9,30)) || ([startdate] < Date(2022,9,30) && (ISBLANK([closeddate]) || [ClosedDate] > Date(2022,9,30)))), [Revenue])

Cheers,

John

ebrodie
Frequent Visitor

John

you are the BEST!

is there a way to pass in as parameters the hard coded dates?

jbwtp
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Yes, tipically for DAX you either create a measure which would get a value from the dates table managed by a slicer, and use this measure instead of the hardcoded date.

ebrodie
Frequent Visitor

@jbwtp 

so i am using the between sucessfully.

now i wantto reference a start and end data that is selected from a calendar by the user

can the user select a start date and end date from an "UNBOUND" control that i can pass into the measure for the filtering of the records?

jbwtp
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @ebrodie,

Do you need any further help with this?

Thanks,

John

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors