Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

scott12281

data refresh failed

I've been using the same enterprise gateway for months, when suddenly I started getting a "data refresh disabled" error.  Now, I cannot even update my gateway credentials, as I am prompted to use a "Personal Gateway".

No idea what how to fix this, as I cannot "uncheck" the personal gateway option.

I'm getting about 20 emails a day telling me the data "has failed to refresh", and I was hoping it would self-fix in the same way it self-broke, but it's not fixing.

So, I need help. The emails are annoying, but worse my data is not refreshing unless I manually republish.

Can anyone please help?

11 REPLIES 11
deeptha09
Frequent Visitor

Capture.PNG

Hi, I wrote a long response to your query, but the post upload was failed! So, this is a short version: refresh failures usually due to the input tables were changed (column inserted or column name changed). You may try to use Advance editor to fix it if that is the case 

GIO200011
Frequent Visitor

I have the very same error. But I published a dummy pbix with the file with conflict and it refreshes.

I hope someone can help us.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@scott12281,

What data sources does the dataset contain in your scenario? Could you please go to Refresh history to check the detailed error message and post the error message here?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The detailed error message is as follows:

Scheduled‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017‎ ‎7‎:‎36‎:‎09‎ ‎AM‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017‎ ‎7‎:‎46‎:‎19‎ ‎AMFailedDatasource has no credentials

But I do not see any way to modify the credentials, as the option is grayed out:

power-bi-error.png

I had the exact same problem but I've found a way to fix it. Hopefully, this works for you.

First, has your password been changed recently by any chance? Mine did. So, I had to open my report in PBI Desktop and click the down arrow on the "Edit Queries" button on the Home Ribbon to see an option for "Data source Settings".  For each of the data connections, I chose "sign in as a different user" (even though I was already signed in) then choose my account again from the popup window and save.  And, don't do this in Edge or IE, do it in Chrome! 

Then, I published my report to the PBI service, navigated to the dataset settings for "schedule refresh" and individually re-entered my credentials for each connection that had an error.  Doing one of these without the other will not work.

Once I did both of these changes, my report started refreshing again!  Woot!

Hmm, no luck. I followed the steps you outlined, but have the same problem.   The frustrating part is that Power BI is automatically assuming I have a personal gateway, and never gives me the option to modify my credentials on the PowerBI site.

@scott12281,

Please go to File -> Options and settings ->Data source settings in Power BI Desktop to check data sources and post a screenshot about the data sources.

Besides, please post a screenshot about data sources you add within enterprise gateway.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi all,

I've just started at a very beginning step, building up PBI from Power BI desktop, not yet public my PBI at all. My data sources are excel files. At first, I saved my files on a local C:\folder. During the first few days, I tested the refresh by exit the tool, open again, click on refresh, looked ok.

Then, I started built visualized report, then one day, the refresh stopped working, error message is "Loading as cancelled by an error in loading a previous table". BTW, I didn't change anything in my input tables

So, I did some searching on Google, someone said that if the source files save on One Drive, the refresh will work. So, I started over, copy my files to OneDrive of my company, from the scratch, build up again using PBI desktop. After few times save, close, exit, refresh, then, one day, the error happened again regardless my input file is unchanged the structure and column name but the data

Then, one of my college said that I should not save the source files in OneDrive, I should save in C:\Users\myusername folder. I did, yesterday. I tested closing, refresh a few times, looked good until today, the same error happened.

Any help, please? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Downloade the PBIX file back out into your desktop version and have a look at the data sources.  Now compare that to the data sources in your gateway and look for anything that is missing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried upgrading to the newest version of the gateway?  I know Microsoft were dropping support for an older encryption method which would cause issues for people using older gateway versions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors