Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

count two or more numbers in a column

Hi, 

This seems like something super easy, but yet I have tried so many different things and nothing seems to work correctly. 

I am trying to say, if a column shows 7 or 8 than count those numbers. So if there was 6 7's or 8 8's than say a total of 14. 

Here is what I have tried so far:

Column:

If(Or(scale of 1 to 10=7,8),1,0) - But this says DAX comparison operations do not support comparing values of type Text with values of type Integer. Consider using the VALUE or FORMAT function to convert one of the values.

So I tried a measure instead of a column:

Count Scale=count(scale of 1 to 10)

Then 

= If(Or(count Scale = 7,8),1,0 - This still just shows full count of all submissions 

I then tried another option

= CALCULATE(COUNT(scale of 1 to 10),'scale of 1 to 10 = 7 && 8))

Then I tried

Passive count = COUNTROWS(FILTER(ALL(scale of 1 to 10=7 && scale of 1 to 10 = 8))

None of them have worked yet. I am not sure where to go next. Any Ideas? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

This is much simpler in Power Query. Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjExNTU2NjOztFSK1YlWMjc3Mza2tLCwUIqNBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", Int64.Type}}),

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each List.Count(Text.PositionOfAny(Text.From([Column1]), {"7","8"}, Occurrence.All)))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

You this for if formula : 

Column = IF([Scale of 1 to 10]="7" || [Scale of 1 to 10]="8",1,0)

However you wanted to count if it is 7 or 8, so you should use the following.
Column = CALCULATE(COUNT([Scale of 1 to 10]),FILTER('Table',[Scale of 1 to 10]="7"||[Scale of 1 to 10]="8"))

For the other condition can you show a sample of the [scale of 1 to 10] column, I see it is text type, but not sure what do you mean by 6 7s or 8 8s, what are the values look like in this column. 

You can just show us a table with your expected output like below, so we can understand your requirement.

scale of 1 to 10 Expected Output(measure or column).
1 ?
2 ?
3 ?

Paul

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

This is much simpler in Power Query. Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjExNTU2NjOztFSK1YlWMjc3Mza2tLCwUIqNBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", Int64.Type}}),

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each List.Count(Text.PositionOfAny(Text.From([Column1]), {"7","8"}, Occurrence.All)))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

If you could paste a sample of your data or some dummy data here, it will help me understand your question clearly

If my answer was helpful, please click Accept it as the solution to help other members find it useful

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

Website YouTube  LinkedIn

If my answer was helpful, please click Accept it as the solution to help other members find it useful

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

Website YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - Perhaps:

If(Or(scale of 1 to 10="7","8"),1,0)

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Greg-Deckler, that seemed to work for not having the error anymore. Now it is not counting just the ones that are 7 or 8 but counting all the rows with a number. 

NPS = IF(OR('scale of 1 to 10']="7","8"),1,0)

I just have two test rows and it should only be showing a 0 and not a 2 since there is only a 6 and a 9. 

Not sure why its doing this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors