Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

connect Excel to power Bi - Power Query

Dears,

Greeting

I have a power query in excel with applied steps

Now, I need to connect the same power query from excel to Power BI with taking consider applied steps in excel

What do I want the file to do?

I want when filling data in the data source in the excel file then reflect automatically in power bi

How I do that?

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3

There is no option for live links. If you have a query in Excel, then you need to trigger a refresh in Excel, materialise the table into a sheet and save the file, then refresh PBI. Alternatively you may be able to move the query to PBI and only use Excel for data entry. You will still have to save the file (or course) but you won't have to trigger the query refresh in Excel. In PBI.com you can then refresh on a schedule, or presumably you could use Power Automate to detect the change in the Excel file and trigger a refresh. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Mr.Matt

Yeah, of course, IF I want to use excel only data entry and import data in PBI is a method (create new PQ in PBI) but I was already designed in excel power query (big data with modifications) wherefore I need a way to move power query in excel with "modifications" to design a dashboard in PBI .. what I need is when I filing data in excel & click refresh is reflected automatically in PBI dashboard.

Hello @Anonymous 

why you don't transfer the power query code from Excel to Power BI and use in case Excel to read the data you entered there? So whenever you go to power BI the data is read from your original data source and from Excel, and thats it? Or I'm missing something?

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors