Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Stephane5959
Regular Visitor

column separator stop to work

Hi,

I have a power pivot report linked to text files. As i just refreshed the source, the colum separator refuse to work as usualy with Tab (t), i tried all options and it keeps showing all data in one column. Any idea what can cause the issue?

Thanks a lot

Stephane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, but you can disable that. In fact, I recommend you disable all automatic data loading in Excel. I have my Excel Power Query options set as follows:

edhans_0-1597851212700.png

Then, if you right-click on the query once you are actually in Excel and select the Load To menu option, you get this dialog box. Make sure Connection Only, and Load to Data Model are selected. Then only the data model will have the data, just as if you'd imported through Power Pivot. But now that is in Power Query, you can do all sorts of transformations before it loads. Filter, grouping, column renaming, adding new columns, removing columns, etc.

edhans_1-1597851341598.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Stephane5959
Regular Visitor

Hi,

All thanks for the help,

It seems like I can use the tab separator with power query, only power pivot doesnt accept anymore since I install my last update. I could find from a separate microsoft support a similar case, it seems related to an update of excel:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/excel-power-pivot-does-not-correctly-interpre...

Now I hope they release an fix soon ....

Stephane

Hi @Stephane5959 - you should really import via Power Query, then load that to the data model. The only reason Power Pivot even has an import function is at one time it was a separate addin and was made available before Power Query was - this is nearly a decade ago.

Power Pivot imports do not allow any filtering, transformations, etc. 

So yes, I hope the Excel Power Pivot bug is fixed, but the best practice is to always go through Power Query for 99.9% of your data sources. Things like SQL Server Analysis Services is a bit different.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Thanks for the advice,

If the data set is very large, then it creates a tab in my excel from using the import via power query, doesnt it make my excel file bigger?

Thanks

Yes, but you can disable that. In fact, I recommend you disable all automatic data loading in Excel. I have my Excel Power Query options set as follows:

edhans_0-1597851212700.png

Then, if you right-click on the query once you are actually in Excel and select the Load To menu option, you get this dialog box. Make sure Connection Only, and Load to Data Model are selected. Then only the data model will have the data, just as if you'd imported through Power Pivot. But now that is in Power Query, you can do all sorts of transformations before it loads. Filter, grouping, column renaming, adding new columns, removing columns, etc.

edhans_1-1597851341598.png

Thanks a lot, this is helpful

Great @Stephane5959 - if you could mark one of these posts as the solution if you are satisfied I'd appreciate it and it may help others searching for solutions, especially if they are bitten by this same Excel Power Pivot bug until it is fixed.

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Stephane5959 

I wonder what colum separator you are using. I created data to reproduce your scenario. 

c1.png

When you connect the text with text/csv connector, you need to choose which delimiter to use.

c2.png

If you don't choose a corresponding delimiter, it will keep showing all data in one column.

c3.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

edhans
Super User
Super User

@Stephane5959 it sounds like the delimiter changed. Can you go into Power Query and look at the step that is splitting the column and change the delimiter chosen to see if that fixes it? It will probably be "Split Column" and it will have a little gear next to it. You can change the splitter in this dialog box. Note there is a "custom" value too in the dropdown you can use to customize it.

edhans_0-1597794408260.png

To be more specific, you'd need to share a copy of the file (no priviate data, and just 2-3 rows would be sufficient) via OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. for us to take a look at it and see which column is causing the issue and what the ASCII character is that you should be splitting by.

mhossain
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Stephane5959 

Try to create quick another powerpivot report with your text file, might be delimiter in the source file is changed, see if this works, or upload here the sample data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors