Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vvadlapatla
Helper I
Helper I

check if time overlaps or doesn't overlap for the same category

Hi All,

I have an excel with monthly data starting from month start to Month end. For the same category A and category B and for the same day I need to check if there are multiple records with overlapping time, if exists then I would like to group them by min start time and Max End time otherwise.

Start Date

Start Time

End Date

End Time

Category A

Category B

04/07/2020

6:00:00 PM

05/07/2020

2:00:00 AM

Single main

Grind

05/07/2020

10:45:00 PM

06/07/2020

12:15:00 PM

Single Main

Grind

05/07/2020

11:45:00 PM

06/07/2020

1:45:00 PM

Single Main

Grind

29/07/2020

4:00:00 AM

29/07/2020

6:00:00 AM

Main 

Grind

29/07/2020

10:00:00 PM

29/07/2020

11:30:00 PM

Main

Grind

from the above data,

the first row stays as is as there is only one record matching for startdate on 4/07/2020.

the second two can be grouped into one as the start dates are 05/07/2020 and category A and B matches, and the third row Start time (11:45:00 PM) falls before the end Time of second row Start Time (11:45:00 PM). 

The last two rows should stay as is as even the Start Date, Category A and B matches but the last row Start Time ( 10:00:00 PM) doesn't overlap or start before the End time of the above row ( 6:00:00 PM).

I want some help with power query to acheive this. the output should be

Start Date

Start Time

End Date

End Time

Category A

Category B

04/07/2020

05/07/2020

Single main

Grind

05/07/2020

10:45:00 PM

06/07/2020

1:45:00 PM

Single Main

Grind

29/07/2020

4:00:00 AM

29/07/2020

6:00:00 AM

Main 

Grind

29/07/2020

10:00:00PM

29/07/2020

Main

Grind

Any help would be apreciated. Thanks

20 REPLIES 20
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @vvadlapatla 

I've tried to group first both categories and the date. Afterwards I've analysed the tables generated and deleted the second row, if a overlapping was identified. This approach is only working if you have 2 rows for category/start day. Check out if this suits your needs

let
	Source = #table
	(
		{"Start Date","Start Time","End Date","End Time","Category A","Category B"},
		{
			{"44016","0,75","44017","8,33333333333333E-02","Single main","Grind"},	{"44017","0,947916666666667","44018","0,510416666666667","Single Main","Grind"},	
			{"44017","0,989583333333333","44018","0,572916666666667","Single Main","Grind"},	{"44041","0,166666666666667","44041","0,25","Main","Grind"},	{"44041","0,916666666666667","44041","0,979166666666667","Main","Grind"}

}
	),
    Transform = Table.TransformColumns(Source,{{"Start Date", each Date.From(Number.From(_)), type date},{"End Date", each Date.From(Number.From(_)), type date},{"Start Time", each Time.From(Number.From(_)), type time},{"End Time", each Time.From(Number.From(_)), type time}}),
    GroupBy = Table.Group(Transform, {"Start Date", "Category A", "Category B"}, {{"AllRows", each _, type table [Start Date=date, Start Time=time, End Date=date, End Time=time, Category A=text, Category B=text]}}),
	TransformTable = Table.TransformColumns
	(
		GroupBy,
		{
			{
				"AllRows",
				(tableInt)=>
				if Table.RowCount(tableInt)=2

then if ((tableInt[End Date]{0} & tableInt[End Time]{0}) > (tableInt[Start Date]{1} & tableInt[Start Time]{1})) and ((tableInt[Start Date]{0} & tableInt[Start Time]{0}) < (tableInt[End Date]{1} & tableInt[End Time]{1})) then Table.FromRecords({tableInt{0}}) else tableInt

else tableInt

}
		}
	),
    RemoveOtherColumns = Table.SelectColumns(TransformTable,{"AllRows"}),
    ExpandedAllRows = Table.ExpandTableColumn(RemoveOtherColumns, "AllRows", {"Start Date", "Start Time", "End Date", "End Time", "Category A", "Category B"}, {"Start Date", "Start Time", "End Date", "End Time", "Category A", "Category B"})
in
    ExpandedAllRows

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Hi @Jimmy801 ,

you have mentioned that "This approach is only working if you have 2 rows for category/start day" what if I have more than two rows per category? Thanks

Hello @vvadlapatla 

then this is simple not working with my code. It was also never defined what happens if more then 2 rows show up in a group. Maybe the solution of @ImkeF  has some concept in the code

All the best

Jimmy

Hi @Jimmy801,

Thankyou  for the suggestion, will try to get that sorted with the help of @ImkeF .

Hi @vvadlapatla ,

having trouble understanding your data.

Please post link to proper file with sample data (ideally with before and after status) or upload proper tables according to this description: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

HI @ImkeF ,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Thankyou for your links on "How to" docs for a newbie like me.

I will creatae a new thread and will mention that link in here but before that I came up with a workaround question and thought to ask your help for that. If this doesnt work then I will follow your procedure as mentioned below.

Actually I saw a DAX measure which will calculate time difference between End date Time of one row to start Date time of next row for  similar group of categories. This is what I want to achieve finally in my table but it is  in power query instead of DAX and so asking your help. here is the link to the DAX post I am mentioning.

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/blogs/calculate-difference-between-consecutive-rows-group-by-column

Please help, if my question is not clear, happy to explain again.

Thanks

Hi @vvadlapatla ,

that sounds fairly different to the original requirement.

There is a "naive" solution to it that simply adds some conditional column similar to the DAX solution. But this will be very slow:

let
  Source = Table.FromRows(
      Json.Document(
          Binary.Decompress(
              Binary.FromText(
                  "i45WCs7MS89JVchNzMxT0lFyL8rMSwHSBib6Bub6RgZGBgqGFlYGBkAEEjWFixoYQUVjdeBm+KKZgVBtZGRlYgo1wwxhspGVoSnxZhhbmRhgmmFsZUqCO4yxugMmCjIDpPnQAiTtRpYIT5vAgwJZ1AwpKNDsRlJmZIRNM9BFxhDNsQA=", 
                  BinaryEncoding.Base64
                ), 
              Compression.Deflate
            )
        ), 
      let
        _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true])
      in
        type table[#"Category A" = _t, #"Category B" = _t, Start = _t, End = _t]
    ),
  #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(
      Source, 
      {{"Start", type datetime}, {"End", type datetime}}
    ),
  #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Buffer(Table.Sort(#"Changed Type", {{"Start", Order.Ascending}})),
  #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
  #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(
      #"Added Index", 
      "Next Start Time", 
      each try 
        if [Category A]
          = #"Added Index"{[Index] + 1}[Category A] and [Category B]
          = #"Added Index"{[Index] + 1}[Category B] then 
          #"Added Index"{[Index] + 1}[Start]
        else 
          null
         otherwise null
    ),
  #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom2", "Break Time", each [Next Start Time] - [End]),
  #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom1", {{"Break Time", type duration}})
in
  #"Changed Type1"

So I'd recommend a faster approach that uses a custom function ( https://www.thebiccountant.com/2018/07/12/fast-and-easy-way-to-reference-previous-or-next-rows-in-po...)  and applies it on grouped data ( https://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/05/29/performance-tip-partition-tables-crossjoins-possible-power... ) to speed up things:

let
  fnNextRow = (MyTable as table, MyColumnName as text) => 
    let
      Source = MyTable,
      ShiftedList = List.RemoveFirstN(Table.Column(Source, MyColumnName), 1) & {null},
      Custom1 = Table.ToColumns(Source) & {ShiftedList},
      Custom2 = Table.FromColumns(Custom1, Table.ColumnNames(Source) & {"Next Row"})
    in
      Custom2,
  Source = Table.FromRows(
      Json.Document(
          Binary.Decompress(
              Binary.FromText(
                  "i45WCs7MS89JVchNzMxT0lFyL8rMSwHSBib6Bub6RgZGBgqGFlYGBkAEEjWFixoYQUVjdeBm+KKZgVBtZGRlYgo1wwxhspGVoSnxZhhbmRhgmmFsZUqCO4yxugMmCjIDpPnQAiTtRpYIT5vAgwJZ1AwpKNDsRlJmZIRNM9BFxhDNsQA=", 
                  BinaryEncoding.Base64
                ), 
              Compression.Deflate
            )
        ), 
      let
      in
        type table[#"Category A" = _t, #"Category B" = _t, Start = _t, End = _t]
    ),
      Source, 
      {{"Start", type datetime}, {"End", type datetime}}
    ),
  #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(
      #"Changed Type", 
      {"Category A", "Category B"}, 
      {{"Group", each Table.Sort(_, {"Start"})}}
    ),
  #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "GetNextRow", each fnNextRow([Group], "Start")),
  #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom", {"Group"}),
  #"Expanded GetNextRow" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(
      #"Removed Columns", 
      "GetNextRow", 
      {"Start", "End", "Next Row"}, 
      {"Start", "End", "Next Row"}
    ),
  #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded GetNextRow", "Break Time", each [Next Row] - [End])
in
  #"Added Custom1"

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi @Jimmy801@ImkeF 

I tried both the queries and they are working with the sample data but aren't working with my actual data. I have to analyse a bit more. 

Thankyou

Hi @vvadlapatla ,

my code would not work if your data is not sorted by date and the groups, sorry.
I've included a sorting command. Also, the sample data now includes 3 rows for the group, showing that it can be applied on any number of rows:

let
  Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjDVNzDXNzIwMlDSUTI0tDIxsDIwUAjwBfIMzJClrEwRMsGZeek5qQq+iZl5QJ57UWZeilKsDtAwEyQdZkDlCLOQrTGCyjgimZWLYRaKwwysTExxOMzIytCUsMvQvYnLNGQZXIYZWSLpMEH2DIqMGbIMyJBDC3AbY2iAHFyoUoZWxggpVNfEAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Start Date" = _t, #"Start Time" = _t, #"End Date" = _t, #"End Time" = _t, #"Category A" = _t, #"Category B" = _t]),
      Source, 
      {
        {"Start Time", type time}, 
        {"End Time", type time}, 
        {"End Date", type date}, 
        {"Start Date", type date}
      }, 
      "de-DE"
    ),
  #"Inserted Merged Date and Time" = Table.AddColumn(
      #"Changed Type", 
      "Start", 
      each [Start Date] & [Start Time], 
      type datetime
    ),
  #"Inserted Merged Date and Time1" = Table.AddColumn(
      #"Inserted Merged Date and Time", 
      "End", 
      each [End Date] & [End Time], 
      type datetime
    ),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Buffer( Table.Sort(#"Inserted Merged Date and Time1",{{"Start", Order.Ascending}}) ),
  #"Grouped Rows1" = Table.Group(
      #"Sorted Rows", 
      {"Category A", "Category B", "Start", "End"}, 
      {
        {"GroupStart", each List.Min([Start]), type datetime}, 
        {"GroupEnd", each List.Max([End]), type datetime}, 
        {"Group", each _}
      }, 
      GroupKind.Local, 
      (x, y) => Number.From(x[End] <= y[Start])
    )
in
  #"Grouped Rows1"

HI @ImkeF ,

Sorry for too many questions. In your above reply you said that I need to sort by date and the groups ( what does groups mean? do you ean categories A and B?). I am asking this question as I have sorted with column Start it did work to an extent but still not working completely. Please see below. Thanks

2Single MainGrinding

05/07/2020

05/07/2020

11:15:00 PM

05/07/2020

06/07/2020

12:15:00AM ?

[Table]
2Single MainGrinding

05/07/2020

06/07/2020

1:45:00 AM

05/07/2020

06/07/2020

2:00:00 AM ?

[Table]
1Down RoadGrinding

06/07/2020

8:00:00 PM

06/07/2020

8:20:00 PM

06/07/2020

8:00:00 PM

07/07/2020

12:30:00 AM ?

[Table]
1Up & Down Road, Up & Down North ForkGrinding

06/07/2020

07/07/2020

06/07/2020

07/07/2020

3:00:00 AM ?

[Table]

Down North ForkGrinding

07/07/2020

2:30:00 AM

07/07/2020

3:00:00 AM

07/07/2020

2:30:00 AM

07/07/2020

3:00:00 AM

[Table]

Above is my actual data and Please see underlined time columns in the above table. I have sorted "Start" column and then performed the groupby class as you have provided in the sample query. I am expecting the last 3 records to remain as is as CAT B is different and with first two records I am expecting them to be as is. even though the CAT 's are all same but the first record Ended at 11:15 Pm and second record started at 11:45 PM and so there is no overlap woth times.

Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong. Thanks 

Hi @Jimmy801 ,

Firstly thanks for your help. 

Its kind of worked but I dont want to delete overlapping row instead i want to have the end time to be replaced with the max End time, In this scenario there are two entries in row 2 and row 3 which start at 10:45 pm to 12:15 pm and 11:45 pm to 1:45 pm. so my final row should have 10:45pm to 1:45 pm as start and end time. 

P.S: what i am trying to acheive at the end after doing this tranform is  - for each category A and Category B, I am going to find out the total hours which is a total of start Date and End Date and also adjusted hours which don't count overlapping time. 

Hi all,

sorry for stepping in here, but I've been working on it at the same time and I believe for performance reasons you should use my approach:

let
  Source = Table.FromRows(
      Json.Document(
          Binary.Decompress(
              Binary.FromText(
                  "i45WMjDRNzDXNzIwMlDSUTKzMjAAIoUAXyDHwBRJxggq4wiSCc7MS89JVchNzMwD8tyLMvNSlGJ1olF1GBpYmZgiDDNDljKyMkRIQU3zxW+aIW7TkGVwGWZkiaTDBNkzKDJmyDIgQw4twG2MoQFycKFKGVoZI6RQXRMLAA==", 
                  BinaryEncoding.Base64
                ), 
              Compression.Deflate
            )
        ), 
      let
      in
        type table[
          #"Start Date" = _t, 
          #"Start Time" = _t, 
          #"End Date" = _t, 
          #"End Time" = _t, 
          #"Category A" = _t, 
          #"Category B" = _t
        ]
    ),
      Source, 
      {
        {"Start Time", type time}, 
        {"End Time", type time}, 
        {"End Date", type date}, 
        {"Start Date", type date}
      }, 
      "de-DE"
    ),
  #"Inserted Merged Date and Time" = Table.AddColumn(
      #"Changed Type", 
      "Start", 
      each [Start Date] & [Start Time], 
      type datetime
    ),
  #"Inserted Merged Date and Time1" = Table.AddColumn(
      #"Inserted Merged Date and Time", 
      "End", 
      each [End Date] & [End Time], 
      type datetime
    ),
  #"Grouped Rows1" = Table.Group(
      #"Inserted Merged Date and Time1", 
      {"Category A", "Category B", "Start", "End"}, 
      {
        {"GroupStart", each List.Min([Start]), type datetime}, 
        {"GroupEnd", each List.Max([End]), type datetime}, 
        {"Group", each _}
      }, 
      GroupKind.Local, 
      (x, y) => Number.From(x[End] <= y[Start])
    )
in
  #"Grouped Rows1"

It uses the 5th element of the Table.Group function that I've described here: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2018/01/21/table-group-exploring-the-5th-element-in-power-bi-and-powe...

Please note: My solution will return different results than Jimmys in case when the events span multiple days: If the first event starts at 5th July 8:00 and ends at 6th July 22:00 and the second event starts at 6th July 10:00 and ends at 6th July 23:00, my solution will group them as one event, while as Jimmy's solution would show them as 2.

Hi @jimmy@ImkeF 

Thankyou for your replies and really appreciate for your time in getting back to me. Both your queries work  as required for my given sample data. Will implement into my actual table and will get back to you soon. Thanks

Hello @vvadlapatla 

then try this

let
	Source = #table
	(
		{"Start Date","Start Time","End Date","End Time","Category A","Category B"},
		{
			{"44016","0,75","44017","8,33333333333333E-02","Single main","Grind"},	{"44017","0,947916666666667","44018","0,510416666666667","Single Main","Grind"},	
			{"44017","0,989583333333333","44018","0,572916666666667","Single Main","Grind"},	{"44041","0,166666666666667","44041","0,25","Main","Grind"},	{"44041","0,916666666666667","44041","0,979166666666667","Main","Grind"}

}
	),
    Transform = Table.TransformColumns(Source,{{"Start Date", each Date.From(Number.From(_)), type date},{"End Date", each Date.From(Number.From(_)), type date},{"Start Time", each Time.From(Number.From(_)), type time},{"End Time", each Time.From(Number.From(_)), type time}}),
    GroupBy = Table.Group(Transform, {"Start Date", "Category A", "Category B"}, {{"AllRows", each _, type table [Start Date=date, Start Time=time, End Date=date, End Time=time, Category A=text, Category B=text]}}),
	TransformTable = Table.TransformColumns
	(
		GroupBy,
		{
			{
				"AllRows",
				(tableInt)=>
				if Table.RowCount(tableInt)=2

then if ((tableInt[End Date]{0} & tableInt[End Time]{0}) > (tableInt[Start Date]{1} & tableInt[Start Time]{1})) and ((tableInt[Start Date]{0} & tableInt[Start Time]{0}) < (tableInt[End Date]{1} & tableInt[End Time]{1})) then 
                    if (tableInt[End Date]{1} & tableInt[End Time]{1})> (tableInt[End Date]{0} & tableInt[End Time]{0})

then   
                    Table.FromRecords( {tableInt{0} & Record.SelectFields(tableInt{1} , {"End Date", "End Time"})})
                    else                    

Table.FromRecords({tableInt{0}}) 

else tableInt

else tableInt

}
		}
	),
    RemoveOtherColumns = Table.SelectColumns(TransformTable,{"AllRows"}),
    ExpandedAllRows = Table.ExpandTableColumn(RemoveOtherColumns, "AllRows", {"Start Date", "Start Time", "End Date", "End Time", "Category A", "Category B"}, {"Start Date", "Start Time", "End Date", "End Time", "Category A", "Category B"})
in
    ExpandedAllRows

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@vvadlapatla - See if this attached PBIX helps, I just helped solve something similar for someone else but haven't had a chance to put this in the Quick Measures Gallery just yet. Attached below sig.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

HI @Greg_Deckler ,

I cannot open the file as I dont have the latest version. Do you mind to copy the power query for me? upgrading is not that easy as all the team should be on the same version! hope you understand. Thanks

@vvadlapatla Ow crap, didn't check the forum again! It's a DAX solution 😞 Here it is anyway:

Overlap = 
    VAR __Start = MIN('Table'[Start])
    VAR __End = MAX('Table'[End])
RETURN
    IF(ISBLANK(MAX([Start])),BLANK(),
        VAR __Table = GENERATESERIES(__Start,__End,1/24/60)
        VAR __Table1 = ALL('Table')
        VAR __Table2 = GENERATE(__Table,__Table1)
        VAR __Table3 = ADDCOLUMNS(__Table2,"Include",IF([Value]>=[Start] && [Value] <= [End],1,0))
        VAR __Table4 = GROUPBY(__Table3,[Value],"Minute",MAXX(CURRENTGROUP(),[Include]))
    RETURN
        SUMX(__Table4,[Minute])/60
    )

Latest book!:

Thanks @Greg_Deckler , I am reading this article in forum and got the code from that post but its a DAX one isnt it, I would like a power query one as I have to use other calulations later on that table. I initially tried min(start Date) and Max( end date) by using group by to find the total minutes but if there is no overlapping time as I have shown in my last two records, I am getting more minutes than expected.

Please let me know if this is not clear, happy to explain again.

@vvadlapatla  See if the Power Query folks like @ImkeF  and @edhans  can assist.

Latest book!:

Thanks Greg, Will have a quick look into it and will let you knwo if that works!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors