Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cnoseworthy

box.com

Hi there!

I am a new user of Power BI and I am wondering if I can connect to an excel document I have stored on Box.com as a source of data.  I see sharepoint, and one drive - but no option for Box.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You should be able to do this in the Desktop but not aware of a way to do that in the service. I tried this in the service by selecting "Local File". It it allows me to connect to the file, prompted for user name and password (I used a Share link) but then it tells me that the file type is not supported (it is an Excel file and Excel files are supported). I then tried this in the Desktop and it pulled it in OK but seemed to bring it in as a web page XML document. So...use OneDrive?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
YunNC
Regular Visitor

Still same error as of today 4/23. Details: "The downloaded data is HTML, which isn't the expected type. The URL may be wrong or you might not have provided the right credentials to the server."

wardt
Frequent Visitor

Use the "Direct Link" (direct download link) feature. It is not available for free personal box.com accounts. You can read more here: https://support.box.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043697554-Configuring-Individual-Shared-Link-Settings

Surajs

When can box connector will be available on PowerBi. Tablaeu is providing the box connector.
cfredericks

I have no issue with uploading the content from box, I found that it works well if they both are in a shared box folder for refreshing. 

I am though having issues when I try to open the same report on the the box mobile app which seems to be a huge issue

@cfredericks 

Hi, can you share the steps how you connected to box? Thanks

Thanks for the response.

Which connector do you use in power BI to get data from box?

My issue is that when I use Web connector and provide the Box link, the page read is of my single-sign on instead of the actual file.

@savvari did you get the answer for this? I have same problem.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You should be able to do this in the Desktop but not aware of a way to do that in the service. I tried this in the service by selecting "Local File". It it allows me to connect to the file, prompted for user name and password (I used a Share link) but then it tells me that the file type is not supported (it is an Excel file and Excel files are supported). I then tried this in the Desktop and it pulled it in OK but seemed to bring it in as a web page XML document. So...use OneDrive?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

it did not worked for me, the pop up window of "The downloaded data is HTML, which isn't the expected type. The URL may be wrong or you might not have provided the right credentials to the server". close the window and gone to "data source settings" and tried all possible convinations but could not access to the excel file stored in box. error dosplayederror dosplayed

Any solutions?

How are you able to connect to Box file from Power BI Desktop?

It doesn't work for me.

Thanks for your time with this!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors