Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

assign multiple values to single parameter

Good morning,

we are trying to move some reports from an old software to Power BI with DirectQuery... The old software gives the possibility to use multiple values in a single parameter (i.e.: worker_param = p;d). Is it possible to achieve the same result in Power Bi?

In details, the table contains a column with values p or d and I would like to have worker_param taking both p and d as default values, but the user could filter the single value if needed. Let me know if you need additional details!

Kind regards,

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the suggestions.

I will try to be more specific:

• I am using DirectQuery mode, so Power Query Editor functionalities are limited and to split columns I have to use measures or new columns in the Tables/Visual Editor (with already extracted data)
  • aris_dress_0-1595512768736.pngas shown here, the values P and D are in the same column, but one for row. So, I need to create a parameter (i.e.: param = "P";"D") able to filter all the rows of the table. In details, the parameter by default will select all the rows (imported via DirectQuery with Advanced Editor), but the user could select a single value if needed ("P" or "D" only)

Let me know if you need additional details.

Kind regards for your help,

Aris Dressino

You posted in the Power Query section of the forum hence we assumed it was a Power Query question.

In DAX you can use the PATH() functions.  Before you can do that you will want to replace ";" with "|".

Smauro
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi Ari,

What you're asking for is certainly possible, but requires some extra steps.

1) Add a parameter as text.
2) Instruct users that they can enter multiple values by using `;` as a separator and no spaces.
3) create a new query, using Text.Split(parameter_name, ";")
4) Filter anything you want using List.Contains(#"new query", Value)

Regards,
Spyros

Feel free to connect with me:
LinkedIn

Anonymous
Not applicable

to have a more adherent answer to your needs, you should illustrate in more detail the context in which to apply this "feature"

but for the momento, here it is an idea ..

let
    fnChoice=(optional inp)=>
    let
    par=[p="p",d="d"],
    out=if inp= null then Record.FieldNames(par) else inp 
in
    out
in
fnChoice

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

a1.png

You may go to 'Query Editor', click 'Manage Parameters' to create a parameter as below.

a2.png

Then you may right-click 'Changed Type' to create a new step as below.

Custom1 = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",each [Column1],each Parameter1,Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"})

Finally you may change the parameter to modify the value in 'Column1'.

a4.png

a5.png

For further information, please refer to the following links.

Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates 

Power BI Desktop Query Parameters 

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

in Power Query, split the column by delimiter and in the advanced option select "split into rows"

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors