Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Thibaut79

append queries as New: when appending 2 tables Power BI shows values in incorrect fields

Hello,

I am struggling to understand why when appending 2 simple tables , Power BI shows values in the incorrect fields.

Example:

Thibaut79_0-1664870761781.png

No COREVTRAIN field in table 2000
-->Why do I get values in that field for company 2000 when I append the 2 tables?

Thibaut79_0-1664872426373.png

Is there a way to upload my Excel file (data) + Power BI file to illustrate the issue and check it easier?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Just in case Greg's off writing quick measures I'll respond.

First , thanks for posting data and pbix.  I would not have found the issue otherwise.

Have a look at the Table1000 query.  It has values for 2000 in it (you have to use the 'Load more' in the filter to see them)

This is a lesson in the way the brain tries to solve problems.  If I see a table named Table1000 I might assume it has only entries for an ID of 1000.  I would never make such an assumption - except for maybe 20 minutes ago trying to solve this......(Aaaargh)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Just in case Greg's off writing quick measures I'll respond.

First , thanks for posting data and pbix.  I would not have found the issue otherwise.

Have a look at the Table1000 query.  It has values for 2000 in it (you have to use the 'Load more' in the filter to see them)

This is a lesson in the way the brain tries to solve problems.  If I see a table named Table1000 I might assume it has only entries for an ID of 1000.  I would never make such an assumption - except for maybe 20 minutes ago trying to solve this......(Aaaargh)

🙄indeed, not sure what happened, should not be the case... my mistake will review the source file and try to do it again , it should work. many many thanks

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Thibaut79 That's definitely not how Append is supposed to work. If you append two tables that have different column names, then you will get all the column names from both files but you should get blank (null) values for the column for the rows in the tables that don't originally include those columns. What you are getting seems more like a merge somehow. You can post sample data and/or PBIX on OneDrive, Google Drive, Box, etc. and post a link.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes it is the behaviour that i am expecting, but for some reason I can't find,  I do not get it.

I have tried to share both files through google drive below, hope it will work

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-lyu5mRepS4Pk0ty3sfsWOJ02z8VD1zm/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=11063... 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sIlU-FBtX3QzOnbEk90snT9LtcWsT7EN/view?usp=sharing 
Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors